My latest hunting rig build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: My latest hunting rig build

Post by smustian »

dellet wrote: Looks like you should have got a faster twist, or maybe just shoot a shorter bullet. I would be pissed if I spent that kind of money on a custom and the bullets were tearing those ragged holes. :shock:
Don't be so hard on him dellet. Rebel has not mastered holding the pencil straight (like you do) when he pokes the holes in the target. He is getting better though.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

:lol:
dellet wrote:
rebel wrote:For what it's worth, load development just about there.
Considering this a hunting scope with a rather stout duplex, I'd say not to bad. For me anyway.
Looks like you should have got a faster twist, or maybe just shoot a shorter bullet. I would be pissed if I spent that kind of money on a custom and the bullets were tearing those ragged holes. :shock:
:lol: :lol:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

smustian wrote:
dellet wrote: Looks like you should have got a faster twist, or maybe just shoot a shorter bullet. I would be pissed if I spent that kind of money on a custom and the bullets were tearing those ragged holes. :shock:
Don't be so hard on him dellet. Rebel has not mastered holding the pencil straight (like you do) when he pokes the holes in the target. He is getting better though.
The trick is to use a drill press. I use a regular pencil to punch a pilot hole, then a grease pencil to make the caliber hole. That way there is a smudge.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

dellet wrote:
smustian wrote:
The trick is to use a drill press. I use a regular pencil to punch a pilot hole, then a grease pencil to make the caliber hole. That way there is a smudge.
Now that you gave Rebel the secret we should start seeing pics of some really good groups. :lol:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I smell envy.........
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Nice looking rig. I am waiting, should be four months, on a ARC Nucleus action to build my 6mm Creedmoor. I can't wait to see how the Criterion barrel shoots the 115 DTACs at longer distances. My postmaster has a 1,300 yard range and I am hoping to convince him to let me on it. I gave him some Lil'Gun for his 300 Blackout that won't cycle subs using H110.

It looks like the buy who promised me a custom built 50 BMG rifle finally unfucked himself and might be delivering it in a few months after a two year wait that was promised to be 2-3 weeks. Now I need to get to work to weld up my flat steel AR15 lower into something usable. I think your groups will beat one shot with a 50.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Nice Boom stick there Rebel.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Thanks Gary,
For any of of you that may be longing to shoot bug holes ( who doesn't ?) and are maybe on the fence about a custom or semi custom rifle,
If you read the details of my build I said I used a used - as in shot out - 6mm Krieger 8 twist. Being an FFL I have a hawkeye bore scope, any gun smith will have one. We knew the rifling was pristine, thus the 25" finished length from the original 30".

Action was $350
This barrel was obtained from my GS for $125.
Jewel Trigger - $212
Stockeys stock (on sale) $199
PTG bottom metal - $125
Paint- $00 Done by me
EGW 20 moa rail - $35
Additional GS work I won't specify, but let's just call it professional courtesy. Real world pricing would be $700 so we will go with that.

Total price - Right at $1800

It took me a year of gathering parts and saving my 5's and 10's and another 4 months to complete. Looking at the price of some of the "precision" rifles on the market, this falls right in the middle of that price range. I know I am an experienced reloader, but I obtained the posted groups - IN TWO LOADS. Two - no wasted time or components and it shoots almost 1/4 moa. My advice? Get to know a good gunsmith. Look for sales. Don't be afraid to take your GS's advice, generally they are shooters to.
I am not sure How many here are interested in precision anymore, but thought I throw this out for everyone as a guide to a custom bolt build. Before you buy a "Precision Rifle" you might consider building one with better results.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Rebel .. actually your rifle IS in the upper cost range of an off the shelf "precision rifle". Take your stated cost + 11% tax the government charges on completed weapons + other people's labor + their profit margin and you would be at top tier cost. You just did it the smart way, got exactly what you wanted and saved a bundle. Great job!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Well how ever you feel about the build - it kills.
156 yard earhole shot.
Happy Farmer! This big bastard had eaten out a 100 square ft area already.