Upper Receiver / Handguard Fit Q

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Upper Receiver / Handguard Fit Q

Post by BlogSarge »

I have a factory rifle (fairly expensive one, too) with a handguard that has the ubiquitous railon it. When I try to mount a one piece scope mount forward so that it bridges the gap between the upper and handguard, the spacing is off so it won’t mount.

I’ve never had this problem before and mounts that work on all my other guns do not fit. It seems that the factory rifle is a bit out of whack.

Is this common or is it a rare thing that should be sent back for adjustment?
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Upper Receiver / Handguard Fit Q

Post by cdl »

I'm sure it's a no win situation for the manufacturer. People would complain about the gap if they did and the price if they scribed every one. Personally, on a build sometimes I measure, some times I just install...

Most people use a cantilever mount to avoid that situation. You probably don't want your scope mounted on something you can torque up on or lean into when your shooting anyway.

An interesting solution might be to install 20 minute cantilever riser and low rings. I have this setup on a few of my ARs so I can swap scopes with my Rem 700s. Though a 22X Nightforce looks pretty out of place on an AR. But I could, if I wanted... and no one was looking...
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Thanks cdl,

I actually do have a small gap, and it is just about the gab width that throws the spacing off, argghhh!

I use the cantilever mounts but like the scope farther ahead than most; I stick my nose right on the charge handle so I need the eye relief.

I ended up using two high rings; one n the receiver and one on the handguard. I’ll see how that works....

I like your idea of a low riser that extends past the receiver. It would allow the cantilever mount to be whree I want it.

Cheers!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Nightforce service rifle mount with a 20 MOA slant. The rear of the back ring is 5” forward of the rear of the charging charging handle. I can move it forward three more slots. Centerline is 1.44” above the rail.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/26645 ... ings-matte

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.