I saw for the first time, an open carry in NC

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

I saw for the first time, an open carry in NC

Post by hardcase »

NC has a CCW law and people are suppose to be able to open carry handguns as long as they "don't terrorize the public", or some such verbiage in the law. I just never have seen anyone outside of Law Enforcement packing heat until this morning, and saw the same guy twice. I know most everyone in LE in our small town, at least by sight. When they do carry, it is not a wheel-gun. This older guy had had a bulldog on a leash and a wheel-gun on his hip. Thinking about it, the dog was a good distraction from the gun. I did see the owner of one store checking him out but didn't make a big deal about it. The other store was a Pet Sense chain store, of all places.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: I saw for the first time, an open carry in NC

Post by Dr.Phil »

In NE-NC, I see quite a bit of open carry.
Mostly at Wal-Mart of all places.

Doesn't get much attention though.
I'm not a fan of open carry, but I understand the argument for it.

A few years ago, I was pulling into Wal-Mart and saw about 6 police cars screaming into the parking lot.
Being the nosey SOB that I am, I spoke with some of the officers I know.
A younger guy and his girlfriend were open carrying and decided to draw on some parents that were hitting their kids as they were leaving the store.
The couple said that they felt the children's lives were in danger and therefore felt they were justified in intervening. :shock:
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Like Phil, I see it quite often in WNC. Also not a fan as it seems most that open carry have "Hey, look at me!" attitude and enjoy the attention. Kinda like a teenager with green hair sorta thing.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Post by ozleux »

It also says "shoot me first !"
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I look at It this way; If you have the cajones to walk around showing the enemy your full hand, you better have some substantial skills.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Here in AZ open carry is common. I usually always conceal carry but when going out into desert I always open carry to and from.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I had my 380 in my pocket when this open carry guy showed up. A question I have asked myself is how would a legal CCW person in the presence of another CCW person or open carry person distinguish him/herself from the bad guy in a shooting situation? I don't have a badge or uniform. I could envision two or more CCW people shooting each other instead of the bad guy.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

I like the constitutional carry here in WY, but i still got a lic. To carry so when i go out of state to MT or wherever i can still concealed carry. I have open carried in MT a few times (but only bc i was waiting on my cwp to arrive and my old one lapsed by 1&1/2 mo) in MT if i wanted a gun it either had to be in the car or open carry, so i chose the only option i had till i got my cwp back recently. While open carrying i got a few looks but no one seemed to care. I didnt like carrying that way though, id rather conceal, but i do like having the option to have one vs not at all or just in the car till the cwp came back.
One time i talked w one of the "good-old-boys" in AR and he was the proud poke your chest out show off type, when i talked with him he tried to paint concealed carry as shady and trying to hide something bad, so i gave him the "its safer and smarter to conceal" talk.......either is fine with me as long as open carry people arent stupid and proud and cause trouble for others carrying by being the bad name maker for others. The talk seemed to enlighten him to common sense but who knows if it stuck......either way i tried.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

golfindia wrote:I look at It this way; If you have the cajones to walk around showing the enemy your full hand, you better have some substantial skills.
I agree 100%. I kinda like "surprise mfer....." POW
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Roverhound
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Roverhound »

Open carry is my preferred way to carry. Never get a second look.
The only times I have had anyone bring it up was positive.
I'm not looking for the "element of surprise", I'm looking for the "element of don't bother me to begin with".