I'm LOST on a scope!!! Need Help!!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Square Grouper

I'm LOST on a scope!!! Need Help!!

Post by Square Grouper »

I've read far too much. Ready to mount glass on my 300BLK rifle. It's primary use will be range plinking and hunting deer/hogs out to 300 yds. I prefer an illuminated reticle although it is not a must and would like night vision compatible. I've narrowed it down to a couple pieces but can't seem to make the final decision. I will be shooting mainly 110-125 gr supersonic loads but also plan to go sub and suppressed in the future.

Nikon P-300 2-7x32 (Not illuminated or night vision compatible)
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 (What I seem to lead towards most)
Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP (A little out of my price range, although possible, I feel may be too much magnification for this platform?)

Help me!!! LOL
“To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens.”
― Adolf Hitler
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Re: I'm LOST on a scope!!! Need Help!!

Post by farm use »

Welcome! The Nikon P300 is a good scope but to me the reticle is a little thick but works fine. The vortex 1x4 is also a great scope. Look at the weaver 3x10 grand slam tactical. I have a couple of them and love it for the blkout. Mil mil reticle works great for subs and supers. I had to chose one I would take the weaver or vortex. The P300 is good but not as useful as the weaver or vortex.
WhoDatRR
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDatRR »

I own both of the Vortexes you mentioned, as well as a bunch of other stuff. The 2.5-10 sits on my WYLDE SPR, and I'll likely get another for one of my .308 Ar-10s. Having a bunch of ARs, I own lots of 1-4s. IMOHO, 1-4 is about perfect for 300 BO.

You mentioned shooting critters out to 300... my opinion is that that's a bit far for the 300 BO. I have several 300s, and I consider them all to be 150... (maybe 200, in a pinch) rifles, especially for hunting. I may catch a bit of grief, but OI have lots of other calibers that do well in that longer role.

For me, 1-4x is a perfect match for the 300 AAC. It provides lightning fast CQB potential, as well as adequate magnification for out to 150-200.

Having tried a bunch of 1-4s, and owning a lot of them, the Viper PST is a good one. But the reticle is a bit more slanted towards precision, than speed, in my opinion. Other good 1-4s, that I like, include:

Burris MTAC - Light, with great glass. I prefer the MTAC, over the TAC, as the know is much better than that goofy button.
Bushnell 1-4 FFP - This is a cheapie, but goodie. You can currently buy it at PSA for $180, with a $30 rebate. the FFP reticle works brilliantly, with it being Aimpoint-like small at 1x, and clearly visible hashes at 4x. The glass is OK, not quite as good as the MTAC or PST, but still good. It's cheap, which is great. But it's a bit heavy and I don't care much for tower turrets on a 4x.... still, the price is right.
---------------
I bet your NFL team could beat my NFL team...
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Heck my fixed 6x Leupold covers the useful ballistics range of 300 BLK just fine.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

Chalk up another vote for the Viper pst 1-4.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

"It's primary use will be range plinking and hunting deer/hogs out to 300 yds."

P-300 will work fine for those purposes. For punching paper it is so-so. Reason I say that is the center of the reticle is a circle instead of crossed lines.
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

I really like the Primary Arms 4-14X44 Mil Mil FFP Scope. This might be more scope than you want but you can't beat it for the money, it's one of my favorites....so far. $229.99

VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Im sure rebel will chime in.....this is his area of expertise!!!
Last edited by VENT625 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Welcome to the forum. I like a 1x for CQB. I also like looking through something with no glare, as if there is no glass at all. Crosshairs should be thick enough for quick acquisition yet thin enough for accurate distance work. I think this meets that criteria well.........
Price was right to... :lol:
Seriously, I have a Leupold Mark AR 3x9 on the carbine. I like the higher magnification for certain applications, mostly hunting and paper punching. I have a Nikon 1x4 on the SBR with battle plex crosshair. I don't much like the complex crosshairs of some of the brands out there.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I'm really liking the Leopold VX-R 3x9 on my huntin' gun. Nice clear glass, mildot reticle, turrets to easily switch between subs and supers, FireDot for low light...