alternate sighting option for a 300BLK AR handgun

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BJK
Silent But Deadly

alternate sighting option for a 300BLK AR handgun

Post by BJK »

So now it wears a MRO and that works fine. But when the ATF reclassifies arm braced handguns as SBRs* what do I do? Plus I needed a second way to aim the handgun anyway. Sure, I could use the single point sling and push against it and that's an option anyway. But this build is to take the place of a 12ga bullpup. It's set up with a light. So I figured a light was called for, but since it's only one projectile I also wanted a laser. Anyone who has looked at them has seen $1600+ prices. I didn't want that. I don't expect to need mil' spec', I'm many decades past picturing myself crawling through the puckerbrush.

I found 3 reasonably priced light/lasers from UTG, TruGlo, and Sightmark. All are relatively small. I wound up going with the TruGlo TruPoint with the green laser since it's more visible and I wanted a different color from the reticle of the MRO. Different colors makes it easier to adjust the laser to the sighted in MRO. It came in today and it looks to be a pretty decent unit. It looks to be well sealed but I didn't put it under water to test it. The light is bright enough to do the job out to at least 50 yards, and no shot in my home is 50 yards so just how many lumens are required? It's plenty bright enough for any potential longest indoor shots. It arrived with the laser pretty much collimated to the pic' rail so only minor adjustment was required.

If I need to use it for clearing my home, and that's way down on my list of things I ever want to do. That's what a call to 911 accomplishes. My plan is to tuck it under my arm supported by a single point sling and use it that way in a protected position with my support hand near the muzzle for best control. I tried that tonight and it'll work fine. But I figured it would since that's what I worked out with the bullpup 12 ga.

I still need to find out if it can use rechargeable Li-Ion cells so that I can break the primary cell leash and use the sun for charging the cells used in it.

I'm happy with it so far.

*I hope they don't but they are Biden sycophants. Of course I could SBR it too but it just seems wrong to me for the ATF to reclassify something to force me to pay $200 and register it for something that will probably be temporary anyway.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: alternate sighting option for a 300BLK AR handgun

Post by plant.one »

the optics - as i understand the proposed regulations anyway - that will trigger extra points are those with limited eye relief. ie: a typical traditional rifle optic thats designed for usage on the rear of the receiver with your face making contact with a stock and only 3-4" away from the optic.

so something like a MRO should be fine as like most other red dot style sights it has a nearly unlimited eye relief.

if you take your brace off and choose not to go the SBR route, you can always just cheek weld the buffer tube. its a 300 blk... not like theres a mile of recoil to deal with.

i fire mine that way when my brace is off, with the rear of the buffer tube just touching my earlobe. i have some felt glued to that buffer tube to counter act the cold part here in the winter :)

i recently caught a sale on the Romeo5's... so i picked up a couple as replacements for my limited eye relief optics in preparation for the seemingly inevitable eventual change in what does or doesnt qualify as a pistol in the future here. we'll know more in a few weeks i guess.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I agree. I also don't want you to misunderstand, a cheek weld is fine for some things. But for room distance it just isn't required. But if I should need to clear my home, not a desire for me, I want my support hand out near the muzzle for me to have leverage and the buffer tube tucked in at my side to give me control. The last thing I want is to extend the firearm out for someone to grab and use as a lever against me.

Yes, the MRO will remain on it for those times when it will be needed.

I haven't tried it but I wonder if pipe foam from Home Depot would work? I bet it would.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

BJK wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:16 pm I agree. I also don't want you to misunderstand, a cheek weld is fine for some things. But for room distance it just isn't required. But if I should need to clear my home, not a desire for me, I want my support hand out near the muzzle for me to have leverage and the buffer tube tucked in at my side to give me control. The last thing I want is to extend the firearm out for someone to grab and use as a lever against me.

Yes, the MRO will remain on it for those times when it will be needed.

I haven't tried it but I wonder if pipe foam from Home Depot would work? I bet it would.
pipe foam would work for what application? on the buffer tube?

just make sure its not gonna get in the way of your charging handle being able to operate when you need it. thats why i went with felt - its thin, and the CH just slides above it when i use it.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Good point. Pipe foam comes in many types and thicknesses. Felt would definitely work. My main concern would be contacting the buffer tube when it's -30°. Rubber would also work. Anything to insulate from the heat sucking aluminum.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

multiple company's make foam sleeves that are meant to go over the buffer tube extensions.
just wasnt a fan of the texture.

i choose felt because ... well.. its smooth and i had it on hand leftover from covering a speaker box a while in the past. little bit of super 77 and she stuck like it was meant to be there :mrgreen:

like you i was trying to avoid that "brrr thats freaking cold" thing happening :mrgreen:
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Texture on some of those covers will abrade your cheek. Get a hard surface smooth one.