Optic for 10.5" AR Pistol

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Rpbarry58

Optic for 10.5" AR Pistol

Post by Rpbarry58 »

Looking for input regarding optics choices for a 10.5" pistol build...I'm extremely new to the .300Blk cartridge but I've been shooting AR's since the 1980's. Originally I was going to just grab an Aimpoint PRO off of eBay but then I started looking at optics with BDC reticles as I plan on using subsonics most of the time. So far the choices I've been looking at are:

1. Primary Arms 1-6x24mm FFP scope with ACSS reticle
2. Primary Arms 3x32mm scope with ACSS reticle
3. Holosun HS503G red dot with ACSS reticle
4. Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24mm
5. Lucid 4x scope with P7 reticle

As you can see, I'm not looking to spend ACOG money here...I'm not going to be jumping out of helicopters and swimming a mile with this weapon. I just need something that can take some jostling around and perform within the limitations of the cartridge. I'm leaning heavily towards the 2nd or 3rd optics on this list, personally.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Optic for 10.5" AR Pistol

Post by cwlongshot »

For my mind this only ever will be a close range proposition. A pistol is smaller and lighter and destroyed by a large optic.

IMHO anything about say 2x is wasted here as a 1x red dot with a quility build will allow you accurate shots iut past 200yards!! Its killer up close!

My vote is a quality red dot.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Exactly what I was thinking too CW as I was reading his post.

I plan on shooting subsonic or close to it most of the time and my handgun will wear a can most of the time as well, adding to the mass. But even with the can attached my red dot just changes the gun into something more than I wanted, but it's there for a reason.

Drop is going to be substantial and unless one has a really good reason for magnification I just don't see a large optic as an asset that pays for itself after figuring in the more massive firearm. I have a Aimpoint CompM4 on mine which, comparatively, is really large and heavy and to my eye looks out of place on it. But it's there only for a specific reason (and I happened to have it in the safe). It does NV really well. If I didn't have that consideration I'd go with a much smaller and lighter sight. I've been using Holosun closed tube red dots for years now in competition; the ones with the PV solar panels built in. I've had no issues with any of them that I own.

If you don't absolutely need the magnification I would go with any MRDS with a smallish reticle, maybe 2 moa and no larger. That'll be good a bit beyond 100 yards unless you're shooting ground squirrels. Heck, even the Primary Arms advanced red dot would work. It doesn't cost a lot (comparatively) and while I wouldn't take it into a war zone it's fine for any other use that I can think of. It's yet another sight that I use in competition, does what's expected of it, does it without problems, and has done that for a few years now.

I can't help beyond that. Good luck with your choice.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Rpbarry58 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:50 am Looking for input regarding optics choices for a 10.5" pistol build...I'm extremely new to the .300Blk cartridge but I've been shooting AR's since the 1980's. Originally I was going to just grab an Aimpoint PRO off of eBay but then I started looking at optics with BDC reticles as I plan on using subsonics most of the time. So far the choices I've been looking at are:

1. Primary Arms 1-6x24mm FFP scope with ACSS reticle
2. Primary Arms 3x32mm scope with ACSS reticle
3. Holosun HS503G red dot with ACSS reticle
4. Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24mm
5. Lucid 4x scope with P7 reticle

As you can see, I'm not looking to spend ACOG money here...I'm not going to be jumping out of helicopters and swimming a mile with this weapon. I just need something that can take some jostling around and perform within the limitations of the cartridge. I'm leaning heavily towards the 2nd or 3rd optics on this list, personally.
I'd avoid the Vortex 1-6x on a pistol. I run them on my carbines (16"), and I like them on that, but stick with the red dots on the pistols, as the Vortex 1-6x are kind of bulky and take up alot of real estate on the rail, especially with the cantilever mount. I like the HoloSun 510C and have one on both of my AR pistols, both of which have 10 1/2" barrels. This leaves enough room for some BUS if you desire. I like the ARMS 71-L in that role. They are less bulky than the MagPul version, and have a steel post and front sight adjustment, and a steel peep and windage screw on the rear sight.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

My favorite sight for AR pistols is a seeall:
https://www.seeallopensight.com/

Small, no batteries, easy to acquire and can be used at pretty much any eye relief.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

The SeeAll is a very interesting sight. I have the tritium version and in theory I like if for all the reasons stated. My hangup with it doesn't really have much to do with the sight, but it has to do with me. I've put so many thousands of rounds downrange with red dots that this old dog just can't get accustomed to the SeeAll. It makes no sense even to me because it's so much like using a peep sight and a front iron (but entirely different), or at least that's the closest comparison I can come up with. It makes no sense to me that I can't get accustomed to it. I suspect a younger shooter would have no problems at all. I also suspect it would be very fast once gotten accustomed to it.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I gave my SeeAll away, too hard to acquire target rapidly. Missed a close shot on a hog. Scope means you cheek the tube and get eye dings (no brace). Go with reflex RD.