Rifle case foam

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jarem08
Silent Operator

Rifle case foam

Post by Jarem08 »

I have a flambeau 6500 AR case. According to Amazon the inside dimension is 40" L x 12" W x 4" D.

I have seen pics of foam that has been specifically cut to match the rifle and attachments so the gun actually sits in the foam and not just on top.

What foam do you all recommend for this case to do those kind of cuts?

It was suggested to get a pelican case but that is way out of my price range and I need to work with what I have.

Thanks for any suggestion.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rifle case foam

Post by ozleux »

Polystyrene foam and electric carving knife to cut it with. Both can be found on Amazon.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

I was looking online and couldn't tell but that looked like something along the lines of Styrofoam? Or is it more in line like that packing egg type foam?
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

GOA member!
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Go here:

https://www.foambymail.com/closed-cell-foams.html

Do you have the Flambeau case? It is not clear from your comment, as you quote Amazon for the interior dimensions. If you do have the case, measure the case inside, then figure out what type of foam that you want. When I have made foam linings, I used open cell foam similar to sleeping pads for camping. I placed a layer of 1" foam down, then on another piece made a "shadow" outline of the firearm with a permanent marker, then went to work with a razor knife. Once that was done, I glued the second layer to the first, and placed it in the case-without glue. Then I placed another layer or two on the opposite side of the case so I got a slight compression fit with the firearm inside. I haven't done this with a plastic case such as the Flambeau, but I have done it on both wooden and steel cases that I either made or re-purposed for revolvers, and it worked for me. YMMV.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

Thank you. I will check them out.

I do have the case itself. It is not a solid built like you have or even as solid as what a Pelican may be but I bet it can do what I want.

Do you have pics of that work? I would like to see how that came out if possible. I was thinking along the same lines as what you mentioned with the 1" down first but I was thinking about having an elevated 1.5" and then in the lid have another cut out a little so it actually is wrapped completely. Maybe I am going about this too complex.

GOA member!
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

ozleux wrote:Polystyrene foam and electric carving knife to cut it with. Both can be found on Amazon.
Is this more like a Styrofoam or a shipping pad foam? I would like to see all that I can before purchasing. Thanks.

GOA member!
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Jarem08 wrote:Thank you. I will check them out.

I do have the case itself. It is not a solid built like you have or even as solid as what a Pelican may be but I bet it can do what I want.

Do you have pics of that work? I would like to see how that came out if possible. I was thinking along the same lines as what you mentioned with the 1" down first but I was thinking about having an elevated 1.5" and then in the lid have another cut out a little so it actually is wrapped completely. Maybe I am going about this too complex.
Pix? No, I have no clue as to how to post pix; I barely know how to use a computer. As far as thickness, that site that I gave you has various thicknesses of foam, from 1/8" to 3". The best one that I saw was in the open cell foam section, and is called "Charcoal Plus".
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

No problem. I will take a look at the open cell as well. I saw they had a rubber type one but wasn't sure if I would like that. Well, thank you for the help with this.

GOA member!
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Post by ozleux »

Jarem08 wrote:
ozleux wrote:Polystyrene foam and electric carving knife to cut it with. Both can be found on Amazon.
Is this more like a Styrofoam or a shipping pad foam? I would like to see all that I can before purchasing. Thanks.
It's like the shipping foam that a laptop would come in.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

Ok. That helps me to place it. Thank you so much for your help!

GOA member!