Dedicated magazine followers for PMAGs?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

imashooter2

Dedicated magazine followers for PMAGs?

Post by imashooter2 »

Saw this posted on another board… Is there some problem this magazine follower is supposed to solve? The Lancer dedicated 300 BLK magazines I have look like standard .223 followers in them.

https://muddy-river-customs-llc.myshopi ... 0674188440
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dedicated magazine followers for PMAGs?

Post by BJK »

It was taking forever for your link to load, so I didn't read it.

Followers? That's a new one on me. Some folks have suggested that the spring may not be strong enough to raise the cartridges with some heavy bullets. The other potential issue that's been suggested are internal ribs that are placed wrong for 300BLK, but are fine for 5.56. There could be interference that might cause reliability issues. I checked some factory ammo and sure enough the tips of the bullets were contacting the ribs incorrectly.

The Lancers address both of those potential and I stress the word "potential" issues. I bought a mess of 'em when I saw them on sale for the same price as 5.56 mags. They work fine. Do they also work for 5.56? I never tried that. FWIW, lots of folks here use 5.56 mags with no issues. I wanted more 5.56 mags and by buying the Lancers I, in essence, "gained" the same # of 5.56 mags just by freeing them up.
imashooter2

Post by imashooter2 »

Yes, I bought the Lancers when the ribs in 5.56 magazines caused stacking problems with my preferred cast bullet. I might have been able to solve the problem with seating depth, but it was just easier to use dedicated magazines.

The follower in the link is 3D printed with a very high “cartridge" bump on it that is trapezoidal in shape. I don’t see any claims on the site for what it intends to fix or improve or anything else. My first thought was Damn! People will buy anything. But then I decided to ask just in case.

ETA: I have no intention of becoming a customer. I’m just curious.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I load a variety of bullets, both subs and supers, and only use 5.56 magazines. I've never had a magazine related problem with mil spec or pmags and based on my experience, I do not believe there is a good reason to purchase dedicated magazines for 300 AAC.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I too have had 0 problems using plain old 5.56 mags with the 300 BLK. some of my mags are even military surplus. I just remembered; I did have problems when I tried to use 110 gr. r.n. bullets, but I doubt they would feed correctly in any magazine.
peace through superior firepower
imashooter2

Post by imashooter2 »

ReadyAimDuck wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:18 am I load a variety of bullets, both subs and supers, and only use 5.56 magazines. I've never had a magazine related problem with mil spec or pmags and based on my experience, I do not believe there is a good reason to purchase dedicated magazines for 300 AAC.
Lancer 300 BLK magazines allowed me to use Lee C312-155-2R bullets at the length I wanted without the stacking issues that I had with both mil spec metal and Magpul plastic 5.56 magazines. Could I have solved the feed issues playing with seating depth? Probably. The dedicated magazines just made life easier.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

imashooter2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:32 pm
Lancer 300 BLK magazines allowed me to use Lee C312-155-2R bullets at the length I wanted without the stacking issues that I had with both mil spec metal and Magpul plastic 5.56 magazines. Could I have solved the feed issues playing with seating depth? Probably. The dedicated magazines just made life easier.
Thats good to know. I mostly load that type of bullet for subsonic plinking, and don't base the OAL on accuracy. I only base the OAL for subsonic plinkers on feeding. I haven't had a bullet that wouldn't feed at a certain OAL yet.