135g Sierra Varmint bullet vs wild boar

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

az-jim

Re: 135g Sierra Varmint bullet vs wild boar

Post by az-jim »

Good report, I have a friend going to Texas for pigs in March. I am going to load up some of the 135s for him to try too. I told him I would do it if he takes pics of entrance and exit wounds for me. The guide reccomends neck or head shots but Im going to get him to put one in the shoulder too.
We need to stop asking "How stupid can you be?" Too many people see it as a challenge

NRA Life Member
JimmyT
Silent Operator

Post by JimmyT »

Has anyone tried this on a deer?
Spaghetti

Post by Spaghetti »

So do you think if you had slowed the projectile to what they recommend it wouldn’t have been so explosive ? I read somewhere these were made for 300 for the most part, I’m also an idiot and you shouldn’t listen to me.
“Sometimes I’ll start a sentence, and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way.”
Blackout!
Silent Operator

Post by Blackout! »

az-jim - he should listen to the guide. The vitals on a pig lie farther forward than most all other game animals. Your typical “whitetail” style behind the shoulder shot just barely clips the vitals. It can work, but it can be risky if you pull it a bit. Whack him just forward of the center shoulder. There is a lot of pig there. Lots of vitals, spine, neck etc to put one down.

Also a pig and a WT doe don’t have the same hide. Generally I strongly oppose a varmint bullet on medium sized game. Too much chance of a bad outcome. Despite all the success stories of massive wound channels, there are a plenty of stories of ones who got away. Stick to the right bullet for the job. Unless it’s head shots in pigs ... then I’m interested in any pics you have 🙂