1st hog hunt

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Re: 1st hog hunt

Post by walnutz »

Very nice!!! Got one more of those devils, only a few million to go!
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

Nice one! I’m so envious, I want to go hog hunting so bad but all the hogs around here belong to some farmer. :mrgreen:
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Badfinger wrote:Nice one! I’m so envious, I want to go hog hunting so bad but all the hogs around here belong to some farmer. :mrgreen:
Let 6 go and see what happens :P
6t7goat

Post by 6t7goat »

Thanks for the kind words. We had a total of 7 hunters and we all got hogs. I was surprised that 4 were using 223. 3 out of the 4 took head shots and dropped them. I think one required a bullet behind the ear to finish it off. One hit his in the body and it went down but did not kill it. That one also required one behind the ear. I was very happy with the 300 blackout's stopping power. I was not sure what to expect. It actually did a better job making a quick kill than the 308 and 30-30 that two others used. All of our shot placement was about the same but the two shot with the 308 and 30-30 required another round to the head to finish them off. Im not sure what bullet they used so that may have something to do with it. I have a lot of confidence in the round and the accuracy of my gun so the next time out I will most likely take a head shot if it is available. The pork is currently on ice water in a cooler with a bit of salt and vinegar and will be on the smoker in the next day or two.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

6t7goat wrote: The pork is currently on ice water in a cooler with a bit of salt and vinegar and will be on the smoker in the next day or two.
PM your address. I will bring the beer.
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
Badfinger wrote:Nice one! I’m so envious, I want to go hog hunting so bad but all the hogs around here belong to some farmer. :mrgreen:
Let 6 go and see what happens :P
Lets wait a couple months and we can do it quietly here in Ohio. :roll:
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

if you have pig farms, you have feral hogs.
they get out and go wild quick
a local farmer invited me to a pig shoot.
they had been getting into his silage bunkers and he was not happy!
they stay up late and shoot pigs with floodlights in the bunkers like big rats
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Nice kill. I'm not an experienced hunter and I'm not calling BS on your story. There has to be a variable there that caused your hog to drop and the hog shot with the .308 to need a follow up. You said you didn't know what bullet the hunter used. Any chance he used and FMJ?

I'm a 300 BLK fan, am very jealous of your nice pig kill, but the same type of bullet, with the same shot placement, on the same size pig should yield MUCH better performance from the 308 than our beloved 300 BLK.

Could you do some more research and give us your thoughts?

Thanks.
6t7goat

Post by 6t7goat »

nolwark76 , I think you are probably right. about the bullet placement and the type of bullet. I got lucky with my shot I was able to track the bullet path it went in the shoulder and completely thru then into the ribs and that's were the expansion was the greatest. It did serious damage in the rib cage and im sure the heart and lungs got there share of bullet fragments. I believe the 308 round was an fmj and im not sure about the 30-30. Here is a picture after they were cooked a bit. Pretty massive damage.

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Glad you had such success. Good information comparing the different calibers.