Anyone hunted with the new Varmageddon yet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

17-Shooter
Silent Operator

Anyone hunted with the new Varmageddon yet?

Post by 17-Shooter »

This will be my deer load and I'm curious how they hold together. Anyone shot a critter with them? If so, what kind if penetration did you get?
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone hunted with the new Varmageddon yet?

Post by VENT625 »

Ive blasted a few prairie dogs with them. Very devastating round. Was unable to recover any bullets (not willing to sort through prairie dog guts).
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

17-Shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 17-Shooter »

Still no news on the 110 Varmageddon vs deer, or comparable animals? I'll be giving it a try on Nov 8 from a pistol barrel, and share the results. If anyone has any experience with its penetration in an animal over 100 lbs before then I'd love to hear.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

With Nosler 125 BTs readily available I wouldn't play with the 110 Varmageddons. I haven't seen anyone thinking they are going to be a good or even acceptable bullet for deer.

http://faq.nosler.com/index.php?sid=244 ... +350+yards+
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
17-Shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 17-Shooter »

tfbit wrote:With Nosler 125 BTs readily available I wouldn't play with the 110 Varmageddons. I haven't seen anyone thinking they are going to be a good or even acceptable bullet for deer.

http://faq.nosler.com/index.php?sid=244 ... +350+yards+
I thought the 110 V-Max was regarded as a decent choice for deer at blackout speeds? Wouldn't this be comparable? I shouldn't be much over 2K fps at impact from an 8" barrel.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

Here's some 110 V-Max gel to look at:

http://www.hornady.com/store/300-Whisper-110gr-vmax

Lots of bullets will kill a deer... I just wouldn't choose the 110 V-Max or Varmageddon when there are a couple of better bullets available.
17-Shooter wrote:I thought the 110 V-Max was regarded as a decent choice for deer at blackout speeds? Wouldn't this be comparable? I shouldn't be much over 2K fps at impact from an 8" barrel.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
17-Shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 17-Shooter »

That V-max gel looks pretty good to me. I'll plan on being conservative in my shot placement this year and see how she goes. Thanks for the feedback.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Post some feedback on your kill. I'm interested to see how the NVAR does on deer. I'm to chicken to try myself. I would hate to lose a big buck because of the bullet. I'm going the use the 110 gr black tips again this year.
17-Shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 17-Shooter »

FWIW, I found this comment by JWB47 in the General Ammo Discussion:

My experience so far with Varmageddons have been pretty good with animals up to 120lbs out to 100 yds . I cant comment on larger game or more distance because the shot has not been presented and shooting trophy animals for nuisance control is not really a good idea managment wise.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

sorry I have been pretty busy and just pop in and out of here when I get a few minutes . Yes I have shot deer with the varmaggedon . deer in my area are not real big. does average 90-130 lbs and 185 lbs -200 lbs is big for a buck so take it for what its worth . I have not shot what I would call a breeding quality animal since that was not the intent of the property owner or any other person involved . just reduce the herd and help some hungry people .
I got good expansion and penetration . excellent blood trail if the animal managed to run none have made it farther than 50 yds most less than 20 .
I should say I am not shooting a maximum charge more like around 2100 fps in my bolt action and 16 inch carbine and around 1950 fps out of my 8.5 inch pistol . My reason is at that point I get decent accuracy and function in all three guns . I would not be afraid to take a 200 yd shot with the proper shot placement .