Anyone hunted with the new Varmageddon yet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone hunted with the new Varmageddon yet?

Post by jwb47 »

17-Shooter wrote:Finally got to try the Varmageddon on a big critter. The day after opener I took what'll probably be the biggest deer I'll ever take. Monster 10 pointer, probably 6 years old. Rack about 160. Anyway, I fired one round head-on pretty much in line with the heart from 50 paces out of an 8" pistol. He ran maybe 50-60 yards, sprayed blood everywhere for the last 20', then collapsed with blood puddling from his snout. I didn't have time for an extensive autopsy, but the heart and liver appeared intact so it looks like she penetrated just enough to wreck the lungs. Photos are on Facebook's blackout discussion page if anyone wants to see.
thanks for the update. its easy to miss the heart with a straight on shot congrats on a nice deer.
Huntone44

Re: Anyone hunted with the new Varmageddon yet?

Post by Huntone44 »

We use the 110 gr Varmagedon out of my Daughters Ruger Ranch Rifle with great results. the 1/2 dozen deer ranging from 100 lbs - 185 lbs have never took a step once shot with this round; from distances out to 150 yds. I have tried the Barnes bulltes and were not impressed at all due to the lack of expansion and terminal damage with the deer running off like they were not shot. I have also had good results with the Noslar 125 gr ballistic tip, although my favorite choice is the Varmagedon.