Anyone hunted with the new Varmageddon yet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

MosquitoArms
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone hunted with the new Varmageddon yet?

Post by MosquitoArms »

The thinner jacket of the varmint bullet is going to increase the likelihood of fragmentation. Like any other bullet, it can get the job done. But, as many have posted above, is it worth the chance when better options are already on the table within 25% of the price?
Are you willing to dig through to find the little pieces of copper? It doesn't matter with a varmint because they're (usually) small and you don't intend on eating them...but neither of these is true with the 300 Blackout and deer.
I take humane killing very seriously...wait, that didn't come out right :\
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

MosquitoArms wrote:The thinner jacket of the varmint bullet is going to increase the likelihood of fragmentation. Like any other bullet, it can get the job done. But, as many have posted above, is it worth the chance when better options are already on the table within 25% of the price?
Are you willing to dig through to find the little pieces of copper? It doesn't matter with a varmint because they're (usually) small and you don't intend on eating them...but neither of these is true with the 300 Blackout and deer.

Im glad you take making a humane shot seriously . I wont be rude or impolite thats your opinion . I just disagree based on actually watching several deer bite the dirt they are no less dead than if I shot them with my 50 beowulf .
cs86

Post by cs86 »

I'm not to familiar with varmaggedon, but if it is similar to V-max bullets I personally wouldn't recommend it for deer. Last year I loaded some V-max 165gr for the .308 not realizing how much these are designed to pretty much explode on impact. I thought the larger caliber wouldn't expand as fast or as much. 1st deer I was shooting down hill with a strong wind. Pulled the trigger a little soon and hit the damn shoulder. It needed to be a few more inches over. She buckled hard, but stayed up and ran into the trees. Luckly I got my kill. Bullet didn't make it through the shoulder. I think there was enough impact and probably some shrapnel that made it into the lungs. 2nd deer I drilled right behind the shoulder. It entered the chest cavity and demolished the heart. Never went clear through. I've decided to switch to the SSTs. They have more penetration if I accidentally hit some tough bone unintentionally.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

cs86 wrote:I'm not to familiar with varmaggedon, but if it is similar to V-max bullets I personally wouldn't recommend it for deer. Last year I loaded some V-max 165gr for the .308 not realizing how much these are designed to pretty much explode on impact. I thought the larger caliber wouldn't expand as fast or as much. 1st deer I was shooting down hill with a strong wind. Pulled the trigger a little soon and hit the damn shoulder. It needed to be a few more inches over. She buckled hard, but stayed up and ran into the trees. Luckly I got my kill. Bullet didn't make it through the shoulder. I think there was enough impact and probably some shrapnel that made it into the lungs. 2nd deer I drilled right behind the shoulder. It entered the chest cavity and demolished the heart. Never went clear through. I've decided to switch to the SSTs. They have more penetration if I accidentally hit some tough bone unintentionally.
I am very familiar with the varmagedons no conjecture or theories just pulling the trigger and retrieving the animal . they work period .
MosquitoArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by MosquitoArms »

jwb47 wrote:
MosquitoArms wrote:The thinner jacket of the varmint bullet is going to increase the likelihood of fragmentation. Like any other bullet, it can get the job done. But, as many have posted above, is it worth the chance when better options are already on the table within 25% of the price?

Im glad you take making a humane shot seriously . I wont be rude or impolite thats your opinion . I just disagree based on actually watching several deer bite the dirt they are no less dead than if I shot them with my 50 beowulf .
Like I stated, it will get the job done. I wasn't trying to be rude with the "humane killing" comment, I just started a sentence and then realized it sounded psychotic, lol.
But, you WERE asking for the best choice and I was simply stating WHY a varmint bullet is not optimal. But as I stated to begin with, "Like any other bullet, it can get the job done.".
If it's a question of availability then I can understand. But, MidwayUSA and a few other places have had their Nosler LOADED AMMUNITION with the 125gr Green Tip on sale from ~$35 down to about $20.
OR, you can do what a few of us have achieved and use the Barnes Rebate 2-for-1 deal on the Barnes VOR-TX and get the price down to about $18 a box. Mint.

It's worth looking into, IMO.

GOOD LUCK!
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I have 250 barnes blacktips loaded and in an ammo can . I had a coupon good for 45.00 off my purchase plus free shipping and 0 tax . On the other hand I can get double the amount of bullets that will get the job done for the same price so guess what I shoot the most . after I put meat in the freezer I will hunt horns and use the blacktips just incase I get a shot a bit farther than I am comfortable with the varmageddons . for the record I did not read anything offensive in your post and I did not mean to sound offensive if I did . its just easier for me to tell it like it happened and that way I dont have to remember what I said . :P
17-Shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 17-Shooter »

MosquitoArms wrote:
jwb47 wrote:
MosquitoArms wrote: But, you WERE asking for the best choice
!
Where did anyone ask what you thought the best choice of deer bullet was? I certainly didn't. My OP asked whether anyone had tried the 110 Varmageddon out of a blackout on deer. That's it. I know there are several other good or even better choices, but I don't really want to argue about that.
WhoDatRR
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhoDatRR »

Wouldn't use them for deer, but they sure did great on paper today. Windy day, and I only shot 50yds, but this pill threw out lots of clovers. I forget what I loaded it at, but I'll sure be loading more as plunkers and for varmint.
---------------
I bet your NFL team could beat my NFL team...
ironpony

Post by ironpony »

Thanks for the rebate reminder and no I have no experience shooting that small a pill in 300 blk just looking into it for paper.
17-Shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 17-Shooter »

Finally got to try the Varmageddon on a big critter. The day after opener I took what'll probably be the biggest deer I'll ever take. Monster 10 pointer, probably 6 years old. Rack about 160. Anyway, I fired one round head-on pretty much in line with the heart from 50 paces out of an 8" pistol. He ran maybe 50-60 yards, sprayed blood everywhere for the last 20', then collapsed with blood puddling from his snout. I didn't have time for an extensive autopsy, but the heart and liver appeared intact so it looks like she penetrated just enough to wreck the lungs. Photos are on Facebook's blackout discussion page if anyone wants to see.