Bear with a 300 blackout pistol.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

lokltrkr

Bear with a 300 blackout pistol.

Post by lokltrkr »

I am getting a bear tag this coming year and want to use my AR pistol in 300 blackout, does anyone have any suggestions as to what load I should use?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bear with a 300 blackout pistol.

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hi there and welcome.

I don't hunt bear but have seen this question asked a few times. Me personally I would not hunt a bear with the 300BLK BUT I would have no problem shooting a 300lbs+ hog with it so I guess that is a somewhat comparable situation.

If shooting a 300lbs+ hog I would use an all copper 110gr bullet (Barnes Tac-TX the black tip, TTSX, or the Lehigh Defenese 110gr Controlled Chaos). I shoot hogs in the ear/neck region (when I can find hogs) for DRT results but would put a heart/lung/liver vital shot on them w/out hesitation with all 3 of those bullets though I have yet to shoot anything the CC bullet... yet. The jaw dropping CC bullet ballistic gel tests lead me believe that it is devastating enough to easily/ethically mortally wound a 300lbs+ hog when shot in the vitals.

My reply should give you some info to digest, but the best answer is to use the rifle/caliber that is best for the job. Hope this info helps :)
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

Good luck with your bear...
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

I'd carry a handcannon or shotgun as well if its for any larger than a couple hundred pound blackbear...
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I love my 300 B.O. but it would not be my choice for a bear hunt. I have killed 3 black bears and un countable number of hogs. shooting a big boar hog and wounding it is one thing. bears (even blackies) are a lot meaner and tougher than hogs. and a wounded bear can climb up into your tree stand if he wants to. can the 300 B.O. kill a bear? of course! so will a .22 rim fire. use the right tool for the job.
peace through superior firepower
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

Make sure your estate is in order...
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

lokltrkr wrote:I am getting a bear tag this coming year and want to use my AR pistol in 300 blackout, does anyone have any suggestions as to what load I should use?

I would use the 110 gr Black Tip. Bears have a big neck should be an easy shot.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I have never hunted bear. I want to really badly, but never have had an opportunity. If I were to hunt bear, I would have no problem using the 300 blk. if and only if I had done extensive research on the bullet I was going to use and the range or ranges I would be shooting. That research would include a lot of rounds down range. and numerous test of bullet performance

In my opinion it is very doable and would seem to be on par with a using a magnum pistol to hunt with.

There is and would be a huge challenge to this and shot placement would be critical. Of course I would view shot placement and bear hunting pretty much critical regardless of what I was using.

Of course I would most likely be using subsonics any way, but don't take that as good advice. I have a history of bad decision making. :twisted:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Reminds me of the old joke where the Park Ranger remarks to the "ravaged" hunter.."you really don't come here for the hunting do you"?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

randyrucker wrote:
lokltrkr wrote:I am getting a bear tag this coming year and want to use my AR pistol in 300 blackout, does anyone have any suggestions as to what load I should use?

I would use the 110 gr Black Tip. Bears have a big neck should be an easy shot.
They are bullets, not kryptonite. gds has a history of critical shot placement and uses his rifle much like a crossbow. This plus supersonic is probably the only way I would do this. gds and I live in a state that has the biggest black bears anywhere, grizzly size in record form ( google it ) and perhaps this effects my decision. All that being said, most of the moutain boys carry 35's and 30/30's which still have a bit more oomph inside 100 yards. Most bears that are dogged are shot inside 50. This past year a friend of mine shot one running/swimming thorough a beaver pond straight at him with a 30/06 between the eyes. The bear turned and ran/swam the 100 yards back across and he killed it with a Texas heart shot. It gave the bear a headache but that 2600 fps 30 cal. just broke the skin and glanced off. Blacktips would provide expansion and penetration enough to be lethal, but make sure your packin' a 30 round mag and a 44. Personally, my peep sighted 444 marlin would be my choice. I have a healthy respect for things that flip me sized rocks casually hunting grubs.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.