Bear with a 300 blackout pistol.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

lokltrkr

Re: Bear with a 300 blackout pistol.

Post by lokltrkr »

Thanks for the replies and insight, If i do use my 300 the shots would be 50 yards and under.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

lokltrkr wrote:I am getting a bear tag this coming year and want to use my AR pistol in 300 blackout, does anyone have any suggestions as to what load I should use?
What size bear? I've killed a couple, all with a 270, and all at 30 yards or less. Started hunting with a bow and haven't seen one since- figures. Mine have ranged from 200-330lbs, and in the scenarios I've connected on them in, a 300BLK would've been just fine. I probably would swap my 10 round clip for a 30 though, and carry a bigbore pistol.
Springfield
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Springfield »

I say do your research and give it a shot. Also bring a friend or two along with something a bit more substantial just in case.
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

I shot a 6 foot square black in Alaska year before last. a dried up old sow that maybe went two hundred lbs. A 350 gr .416 barnes tsx at about 200 yards out of a 416 rem mag. it was quartered towards me, The shot hit a inch or two back of a perfect shot.

She spun like a top ran 25 yards up a grade into heavy cover about 20 yards in thick cover. The blod trail was 6 foot wide , the stomach contents blew out 10 feet, I took out a lung and the liver, It took 20 minutes to get through 20 yards of cover it was so thick. Thats a tuff animal.

I was carrying the 416 due to the high population of brown bears where I was hunting. It was not too much though for the black.

I am sure you can kill one with the black out, barnes bullets would be the way to go, better make sure of bullet placement. Check the laws where you are hunting on magazine limits and energy limits.

125-150 black maybe ,300 or 400 black no way. A 30-30 with 150 gr bullets is light for a big bear.

Killing it is one thing finding it is another. if you are hunting in your back yard go for it, if you are spending a bunch on a hunt, bring a more suitable rifle.

JD
F224
Senior Silent Operator

Post by F224 »

In the works of Robert Ruark, " use enough gun". Trust me, after shooting nearly 250 big game animals, the 300 Blackout in not enough gun for any bear. Yes you can kill one with it, but it's not a stopping gun. Spend $800 and get a good bolt gun and a 2x Leupold fixed power scope in at least 308/30.06. I would get a 9.3x62 if it were me.
Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com
lokltrkr

Post by lokltrkr »

I will in all likelihood be using my 7 x 57 Mauser and save the blackout for hogs when I move back to Florida.
F224
Senior Silent Operator

Post by F224 »

lokltrkr wrote:I will in all likelihood be using my 7 x 57 Mauser and save the blackout for hogs when I move back to Florida.
Great choice, like the 6.5x55, the 7x57 kills way out of whack to its paper ballistics. Many think it's due to the long sectional density bullets they can both be loaded with.
Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Good choice, I envy you. I may build a 7x57 bolt one day. God knows I need another rifle or cartridge :P but I like that round!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
AraMas

Post by AraMas »

You do realize the 300 blackout is more powerful than virtually all handgun loads don’t you?
You shouldn’t believe what you read about believing you need a giant calibers to take down a certain animal or that an AR15 wouldn’t be a great choice for woods protection because they have no clue what they are talking about
Any caliber AR15 has the potential to kill any animal it all boils down to the experience of the shooter
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

AraMas wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:16 pm You do realize the 300 blackout is more powerful than virtually all handgun loads don’t you?
You shouldn’t believe what you read about believing you need a giant calibers to take down a certain animal or that an AR15 wouldn’t be a great choice for woods protection because they have no clue what they are talking about
Any caliber AR15 has the potential to kill any animal it all boils down to the experience of the shooter
This simply is not always true, and in many ways blatantly false, based on how your statement is worded. Since the OP specified using a pistol, it’s more likely to be false.

It all depends on how you compare performance down range. That performance depends on barrel length and bullet BC. Inch for inch, the 357 magnum can hold its own against the 300 Blackout in an 8” barrel with similar weight bullets. Muzzle velocity and energy will not really differ. Down range is a different story, due to the Ballistic advantage of the Rifle bullets over pistol.

A 44 magnum with heavy bullets, will actually exceed anything possible in the Blackout with an 8” barrel. You’re going to have a real hard time getting a 300 Blackout to send a 240 grain bullet 1500 fps from an 8” barrel. The 44 magnum will have more velocity therefore energy than the Blackout until the Ballistic advantage of the 308” bullet takes over. But the 44 magnum will have the better performing bullet based on expansion and terminal effect.

Then you need to consider all the handgun cartridges that will shoot bullets twice the weight of anything the Blackout is capable of, at much higher velocities.

Shot placement is key to success.

Since this is an 8 year old thread, and basically the last post made by the OP, i would hate to think he went on his hunt thinking he had the most powerful pistol cartridge ever made, and found out the hard way it wasn’t true.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.