300 blk Subsonic Hunting Primer

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 blk Subsonic Hunting Primer

Post by tallburnedmidget »

DICKERA wrote:Hey guys I'm a newbie here. I just wanted to say that this is a great thread just what I was looking for. My primary use for this weapon will be for suppressed whitetail hunting in MI. So some of you may have seen my premature post asking about expanding subsonic factory loaded ammunition.

I have purchased some of the Alexander 180g HP and also 180g TMJ. They said on the website that ballistics of the TMJ will be the same as the HP, that is why I purchased both. I plan to test to confirm that ballistics do match and I hope they do, so that I can sight and range shoot with the TMJ. I hope the ammo is as good as they say it is, it would be nice since it is the cheapest factory loads that offer expansion that I have found.

I will post my finding as to if ballistics match and how well I think the bullet expands in case anyone is interested in A.A. 180gHP.
Hi there and welcome!

It's cool to hear about new expanding 300BLK subsonic ammo. I hope it works out.
Word to the wise, be sure to read up, especially the 3rd post at the beginning of this thread and all the links in it (especially the last one hehe).
Also get plenty of trigger time at various distances. 300BLK sub hunting is a challenge with shot placement as an animal moves around on you. Be sure you can hit at 50, 75, 90, 100, and 110 yd distances with 100% confidence. This is no joke!!!

If you prepare well then you will enjoy the challenge, if not you will likely be very disappointed with the outcome. Best of luck! :)
DICKERA

Post by DICKERA »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
DICKERA wrote:Hey guys I'm a newbie here. I just wanted to say that this is a great thread just what I was looking for. My primary use for this weapon will be for suppressed whitetail hunting in MI. So some of you may have seen my premature post asking about expanding subsonic factory loaded ammunition.

I have purchased some of the Alexander 180g HP and also 180g TMJ. They said on the website that ballistics of the TMJ will be the same as the HP, that is why I purchased both. I plan to test to confirm that ballistics do match and I hope they do, so that I can sight and range shoot with the TMJ. I hope the ammo is as good as they say it is, it would be nice since it is the cheapest factory loads that offer expansion that I have found.

I will post my finding as to if ballistics match and how well I think the bullet expands in case anyone is interested in A.A. 180gHP.
Hi there and welcome!

It's cool to hear about new expanding 300BLK subsonic ammo. I hope it works out.
Word to the wise, be sure to read up, especially the 3rd post at the beginning of this thread and all the links in it (especially the last one hehe).
Also get plenty of trigger time at various distances. 300BLK sub hunting is a challenge with shot placement as an animal moves around on you. Be sure you can hit at 50, 75, 90, 100, and 110 yd distances with 100% confidence. This is no joke!!!

If you prepare well then you will enjoy the challenge, if not you will likely be very disappointed with the outcome. Best of luck! :)

Thank you for the advice
Akgun&Ammo
Silent Operator

Post by Akgun&Ammo »

what is the average drop of a subsonic (1050 fps) 300 Blk projectile?

just getting into the cartridge...

haven't yet found ballistics chart that gives bullet drop ...

thanks,
Chris
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Akgun&Ammo wrote:what is the average drop of a subsonic (1050 fps) 300 Blk projectile?

thanks,
Chris
Hi there and welcome!

Check out there Trajectory calculator/feature of the following JM Ballistics website, it should help you out :)
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jb ... mp-5.1.cgi
Akgun&Ammo
Silent Operator

Post by Akgun&Ammo »

yes that really helps...

got to start getting a load figured out, then start loading.

so I will be ready come spring.

freezing rain last night, 1/2" ice this AM

welcome to fall

Chris
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

Akgun&Ammo wrote:what is the average drop of a subsonic (1050 fps) 300 Blk projectile?

thanks,
Chris
For my subsonic loads running in the 970-980 fps range the Hornady 225 HPBT Match, 220 SMK, and 200 Maker that are sighted in at 50 yards all have the same POI at 50 yards, and the drop between 50 and 100 yards is about 5 inches. Sighted in at 50 they will do 1" groups at 50....less if I'm up to snuff, and at 25 they have the same POI as 50 but the holes will touch. All 3 use different charges of IMR 4227. I figure I am good to go for sitting in my bow stands with my 8" barrelled, suppressed sub gun with a possible longest shot of 40-50 yards.
Blackout!
Silent Operator

Post by Blackout! »

I have been shooting pigs with subsonic 190 Nosler Custom Competition (identical to SMKs) and 240 SMKs since 2015. I own a ranch in TX and opportunities are plentiful. We carry subs in a mod 7 w an Omega and a 10.5 Noveske w Saker to the deer stand. Shoot the pigs w subs to keep from scaring the deer or eating all the corn. Shoot pig, carry on hunting deer.

The SMK style bullets don’t kill on the spot, as long as it is a clean pass through, no bone, other than ribs. While it sounds cruel, it’s what we want. Run off and die somewhere else please. I want a quick painless death, just not right here. 50-100 yards is fine. Just don’t make me get down and drag you off.

If you think that’s cruel, well ... try dealing with these vermin every day. In the 90’s, I’d gut and salvage every pig. By 2001, I just started walking away. Too many pigs. Can’t eat them all.

Now to the physics. A 150 gr and a 240 gr traveling at the same speed is like a Prius and an F-250 traveling at the same speed. When they hit stuff, the damage will not be the same.

So, I was surprised to find that a 190 @ 1050fps has enough energy to punch through pig #1 and kill Pig #2. Nice big healthy pigs too. If you have ever gutted a pig, you know even a female has tough thick skin. They make a whitetail feel like a bunny rabbit.

I have yet to try the 220 gr round nose Nosler 300 bullets meant to expand at 1050 FPS, but I’m interested in it. I just didn’t buy them when they were available.

There’s my experience. YMMV of course.
ArthurDuh

Wow, Amazing

Post by ArthurDuh »

Wow, Awesome... :) :) :)