Venison recipes?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Desert_Fox
Senior Silent Operator

Venison recipes?

Post by Desert_Fox »

So after a week of aging, my first buck is now ready to be eaten up :P
I stopped by my neighbor's market and was pleased to see a 54lb cardboard box full of meat
It gave me flashbacks to Christmas morning as a kid, opening presents and trying to find out which toy to play with first! But I'm starving and gotta eat

I ended up going with the spicy italian since I had some leftover pizza to go with it.
Par-boiled with some brew
After some time on the grill
Oops, probably should have boiled or grilled longer!
Plan B
Ready to be devoured

So now it's time for me to work up some decent recipes to go along with this meat.

Anyone have some killer venison dishes/recipes they'd like to share?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Venison recipes?

Post by smustian »

Look in the "Non-Gun" section at the "Recipe" entry. Might be some there. Do a Google search for venison recipes and I am sure that you will find more than you need.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Congrats on the first buck. It is a good thing.

Marinate the steaks in cider or teriyaki sauce, or just go as is, roll them in a coating such as Zatarain's, then flash fry them in a pan with olive oil of bacon fat.

Do not over-cook them, just brown the outside enough to get the middle how you like it. You pretty much can't got wrong.

BlogSarge
#1hotshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by #1hotshot »

My deer sausage recipe 3. Pounds deer Berger 1/2 pound jimmy dean regular sausage 1 cup diced onion 1 cup diced bell pepper 2. Diced datill peppers 1 tea. Salt. 1 tea pepper Hope you enjoy
A GUN IN YOUR HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Vension is ultra lean, however you cook it, venison requires additional moisture or it gets as tough as shoe leather. My favorite cooking method is the slowcooker, nothing better than adding all the ingredients and letting the slowcooker do it's thing and come home to a moth watering dinner!
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Also I would add don't cook steaks past medium rare in order to keep some moisture in. Well done is usually tough.
IdahoFireman
Silent But Deadly

Post by IdahoFireman »

A favorite in our house is bacon wrapped back strap (t-loin). Cut into rounds while butchering, use whatever dry rub you prefer, wrap outer edge with about half a piece of bacon. Grill on high to sear the outside and keep the middle med-rare. Serve with some grilled veggies, a good bread, and any preferred beverage!

If you you do burger, tacos, chili, spaghetti, cowboy beans, etc are all excellent choices! I need to get to butchering! I have two forked horn mule deer to take care of from this past weekend so I can get to cooking!

Good luck!
KingIX
Silent But Deadly

Post by KingIX »

Depending on the diet some white tail here in texas get a funny game taste to the meat
while it doesnt bother me as i grew up on it, my wife doesnt care for it as much
i soak hers in ice water over night to pull some of the blood out and it helps with the taste
then i will marinade it with something simple just to keep the moisture level up
and add a little flavor.. then its simple seasonings

If you make hamburger u have to add some fat to hold it together
Desert_Fox
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Desert_Fox »

smustian wrote:Look in the "Non-Gun" section at the "Recipe" entry. Might be some there. Do a Google search for venison recipes and I am sure that you will find more than you need.
I never knew that subforum excisted, thank you for the heads up
IdahoFireman wrote:A favorite in our house is bacon wrapped back strap (t-loin). Cut into rounds while butchering, use whatever dry rub you prefer, wrap outer edge with about half a piece of bacon. Grill on high to sear the outside and keep the middle med-rare. Serve with some grilled veggies, a good bread, and any preferred beverage!

If you you do burger, tacos, chili, spaghetti, cowboy beans, etc are all excellent choices! I need to get to butchering! I have two forked horn mule deer to take care of from this past weekend so I can get to cooking!

Good luck!
Man oh man, I'm getting hungry just from reading this :P Congrats on scoring two forks!
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

The diet for the deer around these parts is nowheres near what is offered to flatland deer and gameness can be an issue as well. Over the years I have discovered a way to prevent the gamey-ness, prevent the deer from dumping all that adrenalin into the bloodstream and muscle(meat). Drop them in their tracks with a CNS shot or blow the heart apart and very little if any adrenalin reaches the meat, I know if they run much at all with just a lung shot the meat is going to be gamey. String the deer up as quickly as possible and bleed the deer as quickly as possible, get that adrenalin infused blood out of the carcass ASAP!
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!