Hogs with ammo testing included.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bird

Re: Hogs with ammo testing included.

Post by Bird »

I talked with the Sierra guys when I was at the factory a few weeks ago about using 220grain Pro Hunter round nose at sub velocities for hunting. They said to no expansion unless bone is hit then only a little. However, the impact will cause significant hydrostatic shock and deep penetration similar to using a solid on dangerous game. I developed sub loads for my .308 using the 220 RN's. As soon as I can get my hands on some more 220 RN's I'll be putting some together for my 300 blk. I'm going to try working up some sub rounds using 180 RN's I have left over to see what I can get out of them. For me, hunting suppressed is my interest so we'll see. I did buy some Lehigh 194 ME's just in case.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want...
claimbuster

Post by claimbuster »

Has anybody out there tried the 110gr. V-Max on pigs?

Also been wondering since the Black doing about the same things as a 30-30, what about a 130gr. Flat nose?

Haven't tried my Black on a pig yet. I've been using a 450 Bushmaster in the AR platform and that is a pretty tough act to follow.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

crap! I recently got a bunch of 125 gr Pro Hunters. I haven't shot a hog with one yet but they shoot & function fine.
peace through superior firepower
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

wildfowler wrote:Anyone here ever try the varminter bullet with some of those new 300 BLK specific magazine? I wonder feed any more reliably with the magazine that has the shorter rib? I would prefer to use those bullets over the TNT because they're more accurate for me but only if I could make them as reliable as the TNT.

Thanks
I dont know anything about 300 blk specific mags but I have used the lancer advanced warfighter mags with the 110 v-max with no feed issues at all.
I have dumped all my p-mags since they dont work worth a damn in my 458 socom either and I dont see the point in using mags that I cant take full advantage of all the bullets I load.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I was up at my camp last weekend. hoped to try the Seirra Pro Hunter 125 s on a hog or two but the water was too high and no hogs. I did shoot a coon and like posted above, the pro hunters preformed like fmj. three bullets punched right thru the coon without expanding. I know a coon is a small target to test expansion but he didn't even act like he was hit untill I put one thru his head. (still no expansion) I think I will use the rest of those bullets for plinking. when I got home there were 3 boxes of Speer 130 gr. hot core flat points that the "big brown truck of happiness" dropped off. these are .30/30 bullets and should expand at BLK. velocities. I will load some of them up for my next hunt. although they are a flat point, their shape is almost like a spitzer s.p. with the lead tip cut off. I have had good results with 150 gr. flat points but want to get a little more velocity and range. these 130 gr. should do it. because of their shape I'm sure they will have a better B.C. and keep their energy farther down range.
peace through superior firepower
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

blaster wrote:I was up at my camp last weekend. hoped to try the Seirra Pro Hunter 125 s on a hog or two but the water was too high and no hogs. I did shoot a coon and like posted above, the pro hunters preformed like fmj. three bullets punched right thru the coon without expanding. I know a coon is a small target to test expansion but he didn't even act like he was hit untill I put one thru his head. (still no expansion) I think I will use the rest of those bullets for plinking. when I got home there were 3 boxes of Speer 130 gr. hot core flat points that the "big brown truck of happiness" dropped off. these are .30/30 bullets and should expand at BLK. velocities. I will load some of them up for my next hunt. although they are a flat point, their shape is almost like a spitzer s.p. with the lead tip cut off. I have had good results with 150 gr. flat points but want to get a little more velocity and range. these 130 gr. should do it. because of their shape I'm sure they will have a better B.C. and keep their energy farther down range.
Nice description on the bullet. I always think of very flat noses for 30-30 bullets and have never put my eyes on the Speer 130gr hot core flat points. Keep us informed :)
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I popped a 260lb boar this weekend with four 110 V-Max I got from Southwest Ammunition. First shot was broadside, #2 and #3 were on the run, and #4 was spinal from 4 inches. Recovered two of them. First one weighed out at 90 grains and measured .65" at widest point. Second one I think hit something very hard in there, as it measured .55" and weighed out at 48 grains. It may have been the spinal tap to get him to stop trying to hook me.

Pretty happy with how the VMax worked out. Was running a suppressor on a 9.5" CORE15 barrel upper and from 40 or 50 yards, I could clearly hear the thwack of the first shot, followed by a grunt. Helmet-mounted night vision and infrared lasers are just freaking awesome. Overall length of pistol is 32 1/2" to give some perspective. He sure looked bigger at 10 yards than he did at 8 feet laying on concrete!

JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Post by JoeHarley13 »

^^^^ that's great work. Bottom line, would you use the 110gr VMax again?

I'd like to know what they would do on a shoulder shot. I popped a ~150 lb hog with my 6.8 SPC 2 weeks ago with a 120gr SST, square in the shoulder. Dropped right there, finished him off with my 357. Look forward to trying some Blacktips on some hogs sometime soon.

Shoulder shot.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Would I use the 110 VMax again? Yes. Can't remember if any of my shots hit the shoulder plate. I say my shots, cause I did recover a Muzzy 3 blade chisel tip broadhead out of his shoulder. 2 of the 3 blades would still shave arm hair. His skin had healed up, and I went looking for whatever caused the scar while we were skinning him. I thought it was the same hog I shot at a month or 6 weeks prior. Didn't find the broadhead in the shoulder until we took the shoulder out of the smoker. Them piggies are tough SOBs for sure.

Question for some of the more experienced hog hunters in here- This dude didn't smell bad at all. We're thinking he had been run out of a sounder by the bigun we know is around. From boars I've seen before, this fella's testes were about half the size of some of the balls I've seen on smaller boars. Wondering if since he was not with a sounder, and thus not gettin any on a regular basis, if that led to reduced testosterone production, the smallish nurtz, and the lack of smell and great tasting meat. Anyone have input or alternative hypothesis? I was just shocked that he didn't reek of must and the meat was as good as it was. I've eaten 150lb boars that were flat horrible- gamey and just stunk of pig sex odor.
Gunnut 45/454
Silent Operator

Post by Gunnut 45/454 »

blaster
I think you'll like those Speer 130 HP's. They are my " I want to stop a BG right now" bullet! At SD/HD ranges they are devistating! :mrgreen: And at 300 Blk velocities from 100-200 yards they should act like a good SP on pigs. Also look at the speer 150gr BTSP's if you want a heavier bullet for pigs. I run them at just under 2000 fps and get great exspantion all the way out to 250 yards! They are my deer load. :mrgreen: