Canned Ham

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SChunter

Canned Ham

Post by SChunter »

Saturday AM, after some success on a water-soaked longbeard, I spied a group of pigs a little ways off the road - I kept driving, bailed out of the truck about 500 yards up the way, and wearing hip boots, slipped through the swamp back to the area where I had last seen the pigs. Given the rainy conditions, I had decided in my early AM fog not to throw a pistol on the hip (I usually carry a Glock 20 in 10mm or my 500 WE for my walk-around gun during turkey season). Big mistake. I did have a Remington 700 in 300 Blackout in the vehicle as I had planned on doing some target shooting if the weather broke to confirm drops with the subsonic loads. Had to pull out the long gun.

Playing the wind and using the water-filled trails to slide along the swamp, I spent over 30 minutes within 50 yards of the sounder of 8 pigs - didn't need the drop chart on this one, and the 10X scope was a little overkill, as the 220 gr MatchKing only had to travel 8 yards to anchor the smallish boar! With the YHM suppressor, the rest of the group ran off a short ways and resumed rooting...next time ;)

I was smart(er) this time - by myself and a ways from the truck, I picked the middle-of-the road pig as the ballistic volunteer!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Canned Ham

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice! Congrats on the kill.

Where on the hog did you place the bullet and was it DRT (dead right there) or did it run, etc.?
SChunter

Post by SChunter »

TBM - DRT...bullet went in the "night-night" spot just below the ear.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Nice shaggy coat on that one! Should be good eating!
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

nice hog. I like the ear shot too. no lost meat and no tracking. I'm also with you on shooting the medium sized one. dragging a heavy animal out of the woods is a drag.
peace through superior firepower