Texas hog hunt.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

Texas hog hunt.

Post by gds »

Went hog hunting in Texas with some family, brother, cousins, uncle and some friends. We had 3 box blinds on feeders and we paired up in 2 shifts. 5pm to midnight and midnight to 7 am. First night I took the second shift with one of my cousins. His younger brother was walking with us because the blind he was going to was past the one we were going to. On the way out to the blind we passed the first shift and they had not seen anything. As we were walking up we noticed that the green light on the feeder was on and when I looked through my thermal I could see a bunch of them around the feeder. We quickly moved to the blind so we would be elevated and 2 of us moved into the blind and my younger cousin used the rail on the steps. Mind you this had been less than 5 minutes.
The one flopping around my younger cousin shot. Found mine a few feet to the right.
https://youtu.be/82b_k8LnQ0I

https://i.imgur.com/1Arrow4.jpg

Hog slayer 14.5 inch with permanently attached muzzle brake. I was using 110gr barnes black tips.
https://imgur.com/a/jqwm2DK
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Texas hog hunt.

Post by BlogSarge »

Hey gds,

I hope you had a blessed Easter.

Nice work on the hogs, looks like time for some grilling.

I popped a 205 pound sow last fall with the 110 Barnes also. I’m sure there are other really good bullets now for the blackout, but the Barnes is still the gold standard for me. Did you recover any bullets?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Nah, I did not recover any bullets, but really was not looking for any.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I find they most always exit.

The only one I’ve recovered was from the hog. Shot was front on, entered between the eyes and ended up in the neck. Perfect mushroom but one petal broke off.
FartinSpartan

Post by FartinSpartan »

This does make me think of a question - please forgive my ignorance, I have only hunted (and eaten) deer in the past.

Are the wild hogs you see in Texas and elsewhere OK to eat or should they not be eaten for some reason?

Thanks!
FartinSpartan
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

They can be darn tasty. I think how the animal is cared for after the kill matters a lot.

I shot a 205 pound sow in Florida that yielded some of the best pulled pork I have ever smoked.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

FartinSpartan wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:11 pm This does make me think of a question - please forgive my ignorance, I have only hunted (and eaten) deer in the past.

Are the wild hogs you see in Texas and elsewhere OK to eat or should they not be eaten for some reason?

Thanks!
FartinSpartan
Just be aware that the USDA now says that pork is OK to eat rare. They are morons and for some reason can't understand that there is such a thing as wild meat. Wild pork must be thoroughly cooked because it might contain trichinosis and you definitely don't want that disease. One should also be aware of contamination of surfaces and such and play it ultra safe. FWIW, bear meat can also have the parasites that cause it.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

FartinSpartan wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:11 pm This does make me think of a question - please forgive my ignorance, I have only hunted (and eaten) deer in the past.

Thanks!
FartinSpartan
They are ok to eat, but You have to cook them right. all of this will end up as sausages.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

What part of our fine state did you hunt?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

bangbangping wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:29 am What part of our fine state did you hunt?
About an hour west of Killeen texas