Speer 130 Varmint #2005 FTW

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Speer 130 Varmint #2005 FTW

Post by bangbangping »

Didn't stockpile enough Gold Dots for the long drought, so trying something new (for me) this year. The Speer 130 looked decent through gel (https://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewto ... ?p=1010136) so I loaded up some for a hunting trip. After trying several variations, SOCOM powder with Rem 7 1/2 primers seemed to give the best combination of velocity and precision in several guns.

My daughter was shooting a suppressed Model 7 yesterday, which lobs the bullet with MOA accuracy around 2300 fps. She shot a spike buck at around 95 yards and the bullet did well. Broke two ribs on the way in (fast expansion), took out the heart and then a rib on the other side. The damage appeared to show fragmentation, but there was enough bullet left to break the off side front leg. The buck ran about 30 yards. Zero blood trail, but then there was no attached heart to pump blood.

I used my Scout pistol with the same load to take a ~125 pound pig at 50 yards. Shot through the neck, the bullet penetrated completely and did extensive damage for a DRT hog.

Today I took out the American 30 which is shooting the Speer 130 at 2600 fps. Took a low behind-the-shoulder shot at a doe around 75 yards and hit a couple inches lower than expected. The bullet seemed to act like a varmint bullet and blew out a fist-size chunk of the sternum. Very easy, short tracking job.

FWIW, I still like the Got Dot 150 but given the price and availability I consider the Speer 130 to be a winner in the 300 Blackout. Need to shoot a few more animals before I'm sure about it in the American 30.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer 130 Varmint #2005 FTW

Post by Sig220 »

Good to hear your daughter got her deer and you a pig with the 130gn Speer.

I shot a good doe on the 16th with a 150gn GD pushed along with some Socom powder at about 90 yards. Hit just in front of the shoulder and exited behind the off shoulder. I found her about 10 yards from where the shot was made. It destroyed the lungs and just about severed the heart from the major blood vessels on the top. As it was getting late, I didn't even look to see if she left a blood trail and I am glad I didn't need it!

I loaded these up about 10 days before season opened. I hate that there is not more shooting involved in deer season. :shock:
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Sig220 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:16 am Good to hear your daughter got her deer and you a pig with the 130gn Speer.

I shot a good doe on the 16th with a 150gn GD pushed along with some Socom powder at about 90 yards. Hit just in front of the shoulder and exited behind the off shoulder. I found her about 10 yards from where the shot was made. It destroyed the lungs and just about severed the heart from the major blood vessels on the top. As it was getting late, I didn't even look to see if she left a blood trail and I am glad I didn't need it!

I loaded these up about 10 days before season opened. I hate that there is not more shooting involved in deer season. :shock:
Awesome. Where in the world did you find the bullets, or did you have them stockpiled?
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Sorry, late to respond....

I had a few stockpiled. I invested a bit in my reloading hobby just as the "pandemic" started. Primers, Powder and Projectiles! That was the second doe I have shot with the GD. Both in Texas, so sort of smaller deer. I also hunt in LA, but have not had a deer get in range for the 300, yet. Will be going over this weekend and will snoop around for a nice doe or buck!