300Blk and Blood

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dynamic098

300Blk and Blood

Post by dynamic098 »

We have a hunting crew that hunts deer in Maine. We have (3) 300blk in camp. My son shot a buck this fall with Sig 125gr factory ammo. There was no blood for tracking. To the point that we found the deer within 20yds of hit spot. Dragged it 300yds to field dress it near the tote rd. There was no blood at all. The wound track was above the gut pouch near the backbone. The butcher said that the bullet went through the deer and he was surprised that the deer died within that 20yds. When we opened it up, it had plenty of blood puddled up in the cavity.

We have had previous years with the 300Blk that it split a deer wide open and it ran 100yds without a blood trail as well. Actually found intestines on the ground and the deer still went another 50 yds. I am assuming that there is a lack of thumping power to allow it to run and not realize it is dead yet.

I am trying to figure out what I could do with a reload to get a decent blood trail. I am hoping for some help with discussion on different powder and projectile types to get a blood trail result. To be honest, we were very lucky to find this deer because of how thick the area was. The fact that there was a lack of any blood, or any visible sign on the deer of any wound, we have lost faith in the 300BLK. I know that it has to be in the projectile. As I discussed with my son, it is still a .30 cal projectile. Such as 30-30,30-06,.308, etc. There has to be a ballistic that can get us a better result.
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Re: 300Blk and Blood

Post by RU Grendel »

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewto ... &start=350

Good info here on my go to bullet. I’ve had a lot of success with it out of a RARR.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

how far away was the deer when shot? all the deer & hogs I have shot with my Black Outs & 125 gr SST bullets (at 2170 fps.) have had about a one inch exit hole and plenty of blood trail. (my shots were all 100 yds or less) also being gut shot, an animal won't bleed as much and the intestines or fat can plug the holes. the 300 BLK at the muzzle is about like a .30/06 at 300 yds. not a lot of "thumping power". I have seen plenty of animals gut shot with much larger cartridges run far or not be recovered. no offense but better marksmanship and an understanding of the range limits of using a lower powered cartridge might solve the problem.
peace through superior firepower
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

blaster wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:03 am how far away was the deer when shot? all the deer & hogs I have shot with my Black Outs & 125 gr SST bullets (at 2170 fps.) have had about a one inch exit hole and plenty of blood trail. (my shots were all 100 yds or less) also being gut shot, an animal won't bleed as much and the intestines or fat can plug the holes. the 300 BLK at the muzzle is about like a .30/06 at 300 yds. not a lot of "thumping power". I have seen plenty of animals gut shot with much larger cartridges run far or not be recovered. no offense but better marksmanship and an understanding of the range limits of using a lower powered cartridge might solve the problem.
I agree with everything above except the perspective on “thumping power”.

With a 125 SST MV 2170 fps, you have The same energy as a 357 magnum with 125 grain bullet and a stout load over 1750 fps at around 150-175 yards.

Think about that change of perspective. Any animal you feel comfortable with shooting at 5 feet with a 357 magnum, you should feel comfortable with shooting at 150 yards with the 300 Blackout.

The question is no longer about bullet performance, it’s all about shooter performance.

The shot in question in the original post is classic. Above any of the vitals, below the spine. The bullet either clipped the main artery or it ruptured under pressure. Probably paralyzed the rear legs with shock to the spine and the deer was not able to run. Barely able to walk, no blood pressure to pump the blood out of the hole, died in less than 30 seconds.
Closer to an archery kill than bullet.

It’s been discussed here many times, this cartridge requires good shot placement. You can’t shoot something in the butt and expect to blow its brains out.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I think with the shot between the gut and the spinal cord, you can't really expect much blood. I would consider yourself lucky that the deer only went 20 yards and died there. Where was the other placement of the other shot you are referring to? Was that one shot well in the lungs/heart? Or was that a poor shot too?
GeronPG

Post by GeronPG »

I've shot 3 bucks with the 300 BLK, 2 were pass-throughs but little blood trail; my most recent one a few weeks ago was a brisket shot that smashed ribs, took off the aorta and crossed diagonally through the abdomen, but I couldn't recover the bullet from all the gut stuff. All three were shot within 30-55 yds, all ran 3-40 yds. and flopped, so no complaints. But none produced a good blood trail. I'm using 125 Nosler BT's from a 16" barrel at about 2100 fps.
Where I hunt, I don't worry about being able to recover a deer, but if i hunted deep cover or by a swamp, or river, or a property line I couldn't cross, I might consider a different bullet or cartridge.
GeronPG

Post by GeronPG »

to the OP's original point, I'm getting very good accuracy with my load, optimal shot placement (heart/lung) and very dead deer with one shot on the 3 I've shot, but not much or no blood trail. That's not an issue for me where I hunt, 2 of the 3 I've watched fall after a short run.
But I get the frustration if he wants/needs a blood trail.
GeronPG

Post by GeronPG »

an update from yesterday. I shot a doe with a 125 accubond (16" barrel) at about 40 yards. I went to the spot and found no hair, blood or lung. She'd run 35 yds and piled up. There was some blood there, but none I could see along her back trail. There was a 1" exit wound, but plugged with lung. I'd taken out the top of her heart, so it was a good shot. So the cartridge is accurate and deadly, but doesn't drop them on the spot or leave a blood trail for me, at least not so far. I've thought about a spine or neck shot, but I hesitate because I like the margin of error of a chest shot if the deer moves a little as you squeeze the trigger.
Just my experience, hope it helps someone else.