Another One Down —

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

der Teufel

Another One Down —

Post by der Teufel »

Saturday evening at the farm. The sorghum was harvested a couple of months ago, so the field is mainly stalks now, making visibility pretty good. Sundown was about 6:45PM so I got out around 6:30PM to set up. It was a cloudless day, so the sunset wasn't particularly spectacular, but this photo gives an idea of the hunting conditions. I was against the edge of the field nested against the tree line. Moonrise wasn't scheduled until 2AM, and I'd be in the shadows until at least 4AM so that was good.

The first rule of successful hog hunting is that the hogs must show up. These were very cooperative, arriving at 10PM. A pair of fairly large hogs came in through an opening in the brush no more than 40 yards from where I was stationed. I had my rifle on a tripod on the ground, while I was sitting in an elevated viewing position in a folding chair in the back of my truck. The hogs came in directly down wind of me, and I heard them coming only seconds before they detected my presence. I heard them rustling through the brush, and before I could climb out of the truck and get to my rifle to turn on my thermal sight they sniffed me out and broke into a run. They were snorting and galloping past me at maybe 30 yards. I got the weapon sight on and found the hogs, but didn't have any time to enable video output or even think about getting the recorder going. One of the hogs paused for a couple of seconds and I hit it in the neck at a distance of just over 50 yards. The other one took of like a lightning bolt, and although I attempted a couple of shots it got away. Still, I got one hog down which turned out to be a 160 Lb sow. She had a fair amount of fat on her, so I think there's gonna be some sausage making in my future before very long.

Rifle is a 300 Blackout shooting Hornady 110 grain SP bullets. Thermal sight is a Trijicon (IR Hunter) 60mm MK3
Suppressor is home made on a form 1.

Sorry about no video. These hogs came in from a location different than in the past. Usually they arrive about 150 yards further down the tree line and I have to move toward them. I felt a bit lucky just to get the one I did!
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Another One Down —

Post by BJK »

Are they good to eat?
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Yes.

They can carry some diseases, such as brucellosis, so I always wear nitrile gloves when cleaning one. Basically, normal precautions apply.

Most of the meat from the ones I shoot ends up as ground meat, which I use just like ground beef with the exception that it's really too lean to make a good hamburger. But for anything that has at least a moderate amount of seasoning it's hard to distinguish the taste from beef. I use it for tacos, chili, soups, meat loaf, shepherd's pie (okay, that should REALLY be lamb, but…), lasagna, etc. You get the idea. If not ground, the meat from larger hogs can be tough. I have the shoulders of the hog I just shot on my Old Smokey electric smoker right now. Slow cooking at a low temperature (less than 200°F) seems to work best to make it tender.

Here's an article with a bit more info: https://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial ... ogs/309330
Last edited by der Teufel on Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

good shooting! that is a plump looking sow. should be real good eating.
peace through superior firepower
GeronPG

Post by GeronPG »

good job. You're lucky to live somewhere that you can hunt them
Rohyncame

Post by Rohyncame »

GeronPG wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:25 pm good job. You're lucky to live somewhere that you can hunt them
Than you should come to Michigan where my friend lives and he suffers from crowds of these species. They invades his family place territory and cause damage to their ranch. They have been told to do whatever it takes to kill them. What are they actually doing with his cousin