Blooded the new rifle

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Blooded the new rifle

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I understand what you mean about a nuisance species, and I've hunted for farmers to assist in the "reduction of destruction", as we like to call it. I also hunt coyotes for this reason. All I will say is that I still take the animal's suffering into consideration with each shot, whether or not I am dispatching it for food or population reduction.

I've never heard of poisoning deer to reduce populations. Are they safe to eat if they've eaten poison?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Walkers Bay wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:30 pm Wow that post opened up a can of worms.

So some more details.
First off that 1st animal, yeah that was all me, I was shaking like a leaf, yeah I still get a rush even after all the deer I've shot, still get an adrenaline rush. Also the shot I was after was head /neck with it quartered butt toward me.
Second this country side I'm huntimg on is not flat or smooth by any stretch. Its has flat spots but they are between the dips and rises. It drops near vertical in places and it's easy for 2 animals to near and one be higher by half an animal higher or more.
Your welcome to google Chasland farm cottages it get an idea of the area.

Lastly deer are pest here, they drop poison from helicopters to remove them from places so if I find a mob I'm hitting as many as I can, ethical or not. So are pigs, my father has removed 85 pigs this year the last being a 205lb.
I was hoping to hear more about that clever use of the lambs as cover for the stalk. :lol:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Poisoning deer is a bit dirty secret, the department of conservation drop 1080 to control possum and deer are a bit of a bonus kill. Theres no way I'd eat anything from the area they'd 1080'd for a year after.

Lambs as cover, those little paddock maggots thought I was no concern at all until the moment I spotted a deer, that's when they decided to run to the corner I was stalking to and then thunder off down the flat. Luckily enough the deer must be used to flighty stock.

Such an armature move not carrying extra ammo in my day pack. Before I shut the truck I fitted a 5 round mag and dumped a spare 10 round on the passenger seat.

The other question I'll cover is about shortening the rifle up, yeah I might do. See how busy my gunsmith is come new year.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

another great hunting story from a far off land!

ready aim duck; these "deer" that Walkers Bay is shooting are the size of our elk (Wapiti) how's that for varmint hunting!
peace through superior firepower
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

blaster wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:41 pm another great hunting story from a far off land!

ready aim duck; these "deer" that Walkers Bay is shooting are the size of our elk (Wapiti) how's that for varmint hunting!
These Reds weren't that big only being a year old and dumber than toast.
But sir if you ever find yourself in the far south of New Zealand I'm more than happy to take y'all for a hunt. Duck, deer or Critter.
That's a genuine offer too.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

We get this pandemic beat down and I may take you up on that offer!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Sig220 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:44 am We get this pandemic beat down and I may take you up on that offer!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
You miss spelled scam

Merry Christmas to you. By the time you get to Christmas day it will be Boxing Day here. Night
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

Merry Christmas and happy Boxing day to you Walkers Bay. (and everyone else here on this forum)
I Googled Chasland Farm Cottages. that is a very rugged and remote area in a notoriously remote and rugged Country! I would love to take you up on the hunt offer but the chance of that happening is slim to none. :cry: after this scamdemic is over and if I ever get the chance to visit that part of the World, it would have to be to visit my daughter and grandson in Northern Australia. that is still a very long way from Southern NZ!
peace through superior firepower
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

I can add to this story a bit too now that I see the funnier side of it.
So after I catch up on the wounded hind, I put a round into her I find out she try's to jump the boundary fence into the Bush and broken a couple of rotten posts off.
That's fine it happens. Shes hung up in a tree root just over the edge of a near vertical bank, so I have to get a rope to pull her uphill.
I got out to the 2 deer I'd parked the old farm truck near, gutted them, loaded them in the back and returned to the shed to hang them up for the night.
I gave Mum a quick run down on how my evening had went and she suggested we go back now and puts a coat on and grabs a pack. We pick up the freshly serviced 700cc farm quad and trailer from the house sheds. (We had to take the quad because it got far too steep and tight for trucks.)
Between the 2 of us we levered and towed this deer up the steep bank with the bike. I gutted it out and Mum goes to start the bike up so we can load up and leave and won't start, like it would turn over but not fire. The exact fault it was just back from having fixed!
That was 45mins walk home in the dark, which was nice enough on a pleasant night chatting to my mother.
I start getting ready for bed in the family cottage quietly cos my wife and kids are already asleep when I get a knock on the front door.
Mums had to come down and saying the front door of the main house isn't opening and it's hardly ever been locked so that's not that straight away.
Another 1/2 hour fiddling about with that i end up finding a ladder and contorting myself through an open toilet window and opening a back door to let her in.
Got to bed bout 1130 quarter to 12.

Had to recover the bike/ deer the next day and fix the aluminium front door when Dad returned from work to give me a hand.

I'm telling you it was a shmozal from start to finish and one of those experiences where your saying to yourself that you'd couldn't make this sh$t up if you tried.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It all probably started with a thought running through your head something like,

“I’ll just walk over there and shoot that damn deer real quick”

Another day on the ranch :lol:

Merry Christmas
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.