Blooded the new rifle

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Blooded the new rifle

Post by Walkers Bay »

So glad I'm back with this caliber.
I went for a walk at my olds station last evening. Took my newly acquired suppressed RAR for a walk.
The boundary line bush is fenced off from the paddock so I followed the fence around with the wind swirling. As I get to the corner I'm looking down a fence line bulldozed out if the Bush and I'm thinking the lump of red orange is a rotten rock, it a yearling hind.
Did a bit of fire drill and stalked thought a mob of lambs towards this deer, though a gate without being detected and at about 30 yards I pull the shot and miss her. Now at this point I'll say I don't need another venison in my frezzer, I've got 2 full at home and another with a cattle in it else where.
Back to the story so not all was lost as 5 others hardly disturbed by the shot walk into view, I pop a round into the 1 closest to leaving and she stumbles hard, then swing back into another 2 standing by watching this happen, I thought I'll neck shoot the next one (she was 50 yards), I put one though half way up her neck the deer behind had ran forward and took the pass through in the shoulder.
My last round miss fired and would not strike off, so I had to up hill follow this hit deer til she stopped, still she was not panicking about me being there. I jogged back half a mile back to get the truck and more ammo. Got back to the carnage in about 10min or so.
With more ammo I find the wounded deer with another deer beside it not dar from where I left her.
Long story short I spent the next couple of hours recovering 3 red deer and hanging them to cut up boxing day and give away.

All up I seen 9 deer that evening.

I'd really forgotten how small and quite even full velocity rounds are and how they punch well above their weight.

Merry Christmas everyone
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Blooded the new rifle

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Sounds like time to practice your shooting and learn about how to take a shot responsibly so as to create as little chance of wounding that animal or any others around it. Good luck.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

As always Walkers Bay. I love reading your hunting exploits.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Interesting read, thanks.

How different it is where you are vs where I am in Maine, USA. Get within 50 yds of a whitetail deer if they know I'm there? No way!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ReadyAimDuck wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:04 am Sounds like time to practice your shooting and learn about how to take a shot responsibly so as to create as little chance of wounding that animal or any others around it. Good luck.
Sounds like you might read through some of Walkers posts, before you decide who should school who.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Any more thoughts on bobbing that barrel?

I took a hint from Tikka and have a Model 7 with an 11 barrel. It is a pleasure to shoot and carry.

Enjoy your Christmas in the southern sun :P
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

dellet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:52 am
ReadyAimDuck wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:04 am Sounds like time to practice your shooting and learn about how to take a shot responsibly so as to create as little chance of wounding that animal or any others around it. Good luck.
Sounds like you might read through some of Walkers posts, before you decide who should school who.
Is that right? You've got a story about a guy taking a shot at 30 yards with a rifle and completely misses the animal. Shoots another who stumbles around into a couple others who have been completely undisturbed by his presence, his first two shots, or the stumbling and wounded deer. Then captain complete miss at 30 yards decides its a good idea to try to neck shot a deer at 50 yards. Only this time, we are expected to believe that the worlds fastest deer manages to run up behind that one and cover that ground faster than the bullet reaches said deer's neck at 50 yards (about 0.07 seconds at that distance). We are expected to believe that instead of what obviously happened, which is the shooter took a shot he was not capable of without caring that another animal was behind his target and likely to be wounded by a shot like that. And so it was wounded and shot in the shoulder suffering until he could run back and forth to his truck to get more ammo because he had a misfire.

He at least accurately describes this event as "carnage", and that it was. I've hunted my whole life. That doesn't mean I'm more of an expert than anyone else. But this sounds less like hunting and more like something out of a South Park episode.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ReadyAimDuck wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:59 am
dellet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:52 am
Is that right? You've got a story about a guy taking a shot at 30 yards with a rifle and completely misses the animal. Shoots another who stumbles around into a couple others who have been completely undisturbed by his presence, his first two shots, or the stumbling and wounded deer. Then captain complete miss at 30 yards decides its a good idea to try to neck shot a deer at 50 yards. Only this time, we are expected to believe that the worlds fastest deer manages to run up behind that one and cover that ground faster than the bullet reaches said deer's neck at 50 yards (about 0.07 seconds at that distance). We are expected to believe that instead of what obviously happened, which is the shooter took a shot he was not capable of without caring that another animal was behind his target and likely to be wounded by a shot like that. And so it was wounded and shot in the shoulder suffering until he could run back and forth to his truck to get more ammo because he had a misfire.

He at least accurately describes this event as "carnage", and that it was. I've hunted my whole life. That doesn't mean I'm more of an expert than anyone else. But this sounds less like hunting and more like something out of a South Park episode.
Let's clear up a couple things, Walker never said he was hunting, if you think it was a shot he was not capable of, you're a fool. If you had read a few of his other posts as suggested, you might see this for what it was. A day on the ranch that went to crap.

What I can gather from your posts;

You have never missed an easy shot, that you will admit.
You believe archery and subsonic hunting hunting is un-ethical because it's "under powered"
Shooting feral hogs is probably off the table.
You give no credit for extra effort to clean up a bad shot and a situation that most would have just walked away from.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

dellet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:51 pm Let's clear up a couple things, Walker never said he was hunting, if you think it was a shot he was not capable of, you're a fool.
He missed it though, right? I'm not sure how it makes me a fool, when he missed said shot.

But regardless, I didn't say that it was a shot he wasn't capable of and should not have taken that 30 yard shot. Thats right in almost any hunter's wheelhouse with a rifle, and thats a shot that should be taken by almost any hunter if it presents itself. What I'm saying is that It was a 30 yard shot, that was completely missed. And that calls for practicing. Theres nothing wrong with that. If you pulled the shot, if your optic lost zero, whatever. Something needs to be addressed here. Preferably before you try to neck shot an animal at almost double the distance with other animals behind it. The bigger problem, is that after completely missing that 30 yard shot, he thought he could make a neck shot at 50 yards without considering what he might wound behind it if he blew that shot too. That shot resulted in wounding an animal he wasn't shooting at in the first place. And my point is, I find it highly unlikely that the deer ran behind the other one as the shot was made. Seems to defy physics, unless we are talking about reindeer. Tis the season, afterall.
dellet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:51 pm What I can gather from your posts;

You have never missed an easy shot, that you will admit.
You believe archery and subsonic hunting hunting is un-ethical because it's "under powered"
Shooting feral hogs is probably off the table.
You give no credit for extra effort to clean up a bad shot and a situation that most would have just walked away from.
I'm not sure how you gathered those ideas, but you didn't gather them from my posts. Here are my answers:

I've missed easy shots. I can think of two times, in fact, where I was negligent. The first time, I had zeroed the scope without doing enough due-diligence to understand the point of aim variation between the zero on the optic and the trajectory of the bullet. The second time, I had a rifle sighted in for a load that had a much different point of impact than the load I took on the hunt, and I thought I would be close enough where it didn't matter. I was clearly mistaken.

I actually bow hunt more than rifle, because it is a much longer season. I also have no problems with hunting subsonic rounds that are adequate for hunting.

I would love to hog hunt, if only I lived in a state where they were an issue. We do not have them here.

I can't imagine anyone walking away from a bad shot and situation as described above. Who would walk away from that? That is almost unimaginable to think that a hunte would not do exactly as the OP did, if the events are true as described.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Wow that post opened up a can of worms.

So some more details.
First off that 1st animal, yeah that was all me, I was shaking like a leaf, yeah I still get a rush even after all the deer I've shot, still get an adrenaline rush. Also the shot I was after was head /neck with it quartered butt toward me.
Second this country side I'm huntimg on is not flat or smooth by any stretch. Its has flat spots but they are between the dips and rises. It drops near vertical in places and it's easy for 2 animals to near and one be higher by half an animal higher or more.
Your welcome to google Chasland farm cottages it get an idea of the area.

Lastly deer are pest here, they drop poison from helicopters to remove them from places so if I find a mob I'm hitting as many as I can, ethical or not. So are pigs, my father has removed 85 pigs this year the last being a 205lb.