90lb NC White tail Doe harvested with 190gr Hornady Sub x.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

90lb NC White tail Doe harvested with 190gr Hornady Sub x.

Post by gds »

For the first time ever I used a factory loaded 300blk round to harvest a deer. :oops: Long story but I bought them as a back up last year, when hunting season snuck up un me and I was not sure I would be able to get a load up for hunting. Did not use them last year. But after taking a tiny doe earlier this season with the maker bullet I was not really happy with the results. So after testing a few of these and reading and following the thread about these bullets here, plus a lot of other reading I decided to give them a shot. Pun intended 8)

I finally got permission after years of trying to hunt my bosses property ware our warehouse is. 2 brothers own the company. I just have to give them some sausage from the harvest. Has 3, 4 and 5 deer groups coming in. Took her last night. in between coworkers returning to the warehouse. :shock:

She was quartering towards me. I should have moved my shot placement a little forward, but it worked well. less than 50 yds and she was on the ground dead. did find some pieces of the jacket under the skin on the exit wound side.
I was very happy with the results. Using my AAC Model 7 300blk.

entrance

Exit
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: 90lb NC White tail Doe harvested with 190gr Hornady Sub x.

Post by gds »

Gore Demolished the lungs and vaporized the liver.

Entrance

Exit
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It’s impossible to say without being there, but I don’t think you could have changed much in that shot. I think it looks worse in the photo because the leg is stretched forward. If the leg had been straight or to the rear, the shoulder might have been in the way. Then in quartering shots any movement on the horizontal is magnified by the angle.

Might actually be a good example why knowing the actual anatomy of an animal is important before you shoot. Even more so with a low power round where shot placement is everything. I think a lot of people would have shot through the shoulder with a whizbang magnum and thrown out half the meat because it had bone fragments all through it.

You probably made a pretty good decision in the moment from a lot of experience.

Thanks for the pics.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Congrats gds!

Looks like the Sub-X did the job. And bullet placement looks good to me, too.

I do wish Hornady had made an all copper slug for their subsonic rounds, though, to avoid pieces of lead and jacket in the meat.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

dellet wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:16 am It’s impossible to say without being there, but I don’t think you could have changed much in that shot. I think it looks worse in the photo because the leg is stretched forward. If the leg had been straight or to the rear, the shoulder might have been in the way. Then in quartering shots any movement on the horizontal is magnified by the angle.

Might actually be a good example why knowing the actual anatomy of an animal is important before you shoot. Even more so with a low power round where shot placement is everything. I think a lot of people would have shot through the shoulder with a whizbang magnum and thrown out half the meat because it had bone fragments all through it.

You probably made a pretty good decision in the moment from a lot of experience.

Thanks for the pics.
Yeah, it ended up being pretty good, but I tend to be critical of my shots after thr fact.

I am impressed with this bullet and cannot wait till someone gets some in stock for reloading.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

BlogSarge wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 am Congrats gds!

Looks like the Sub-X did the job. And bullet placement looks good to me, too.

I do wish Hornady had made an all copper slug for their subsonic rounds, though, to avoid pieces of lead and jacket in the meat.
I was pleasantly surprised with the results from the sub x.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

You would almost think you knew what you were doing there Bud. : ) Appreciate the pics.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Thanks for the pics. Your shot was just right as Dellet pointed out. I had intended to go North of Dellet for some Whitetail Rut action and use that same bullet in the bolt gun but I broke a chunk out of my right knee cap a couple months ago. It just got to the point of needing to be cut out, been laid up while the tendon and surgical area heals up. No venison this year, though I typically give most of the harvest to some folks who can no longer hunt. I get closer to that realization every season.

Congrats on the hunt, thoughts of back strap next to the 'taters makes my mouth water... 8)

TR
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice job man!

Good to see you were able to get you a good looking meat deer :)