Any hog hunters here in Houston?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Armyofdarkness

Any hog hunters here in Houston?

Post by Armyofdarkness »

Been hunting hogs with 300 blackout suppressed using a pulsar thermal for about a year now. Most of the time it's a friend of a friends place and we don't see crap. What's the best way to get on land with hogs?
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: Any hog hunters here in Houston?

Post by blaster »

get ready for "sticker shock". I'm not in Texas but here in South Fla. hunting leases go for around $8,000. a year! :shock: I have heard it is similar in Tx. it really stinks that all the big landowners, farms & groves complain about the hog problem but either won't allow hunters on their property (but will pay a professional hunter) or they want to charge an arm & a leg for access :cry: .
peace through superior firepower
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

The only way I've managed to do it was a friend of a friends property out beyond San Antonio. I know getting a lease is common unfortunately.
The running trail I go to (near Kemah) has multiple packs of hogs but not allowed to hunt them because it's in city limits.
lilMAC

Post by lilMAC »

My wife happened to find a guy posting on Facebook about having hog issues on his land. She was the first reply and I’ve hunted there since. I try to go 3 times or so a week.This is a 60 acre farm on the West San Jacinto River. I’ve gotten 2 hogs, 1 coyote, 1 raccoon, and solid hits on at least 2 other hogs. Plus there were a few times where I just didn’t have a good angle to take a shot in other hogs (toward the road, or toward a house).
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Do those feral hogs make for good eats?
lilMAC

Post by lilMAC »

BJK wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:14 pm Do those feral hogs make for good eats?
Some do. Some do not.

One of the best meals I’ve ever had was a piglet shot in the woods and then made into fajitas.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I've always wondered what hunters did with them. I saw one video that clearly showed them being dropped off for dog food.
Wellbornpapa

Post by Wellbornpapa »

There are several ways to find access to hog hunting property. One place to go is feed or farm supply stores to find farmers and ranchers that have property with hogs they want controlled. In small towns outside Houston, you can try the local coffee shops or convenience stores and hang out and talk to people. Talk to people at your church or rotary & lion clubs. You have to get to know people and build a relationship to get hunting access. Offering to help doing chores for older farmers can get on their good side in a hurry.