410 single shot with split barrel

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

410 single shot with split barrel

Post by noname »

My deceased father-in-law left me a "Bridge Gun Company" break action single shot 410 in good shape except for the split. The barrel seems to have had a beaded front sight. The barrel is split through the now non-existing front sight and back behind the hole of the sight about a quarter inch. Barrel is 28". A local gun shop pretty much told me not enough money involved to take his time as he just does custom work.

I was thinking about doing the Clyde Barrow thing with a hacksaw to the terminal end of the barrel making it a 26 inch barrel instead of 28. Maybe smooth things up with my Dremel.

I don't think NC requires any special license for this. Seems pretty straight forward but I am not a gunsmith.

Any advice??
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 410 single shot with split barrel

Post by dellet »

Might want to check locally, but in general working on your own or without compensation, is not regulated.

Practically speaking you want to find the end of the crack and cut it off at least 1/2” past that. There are ways to do that and some kits are less than $50, or any machine shop should be able to. Manga flux is very commonly available, and there are some die kits. Then you might want to split the cut off portion and make there is not a crack that runs off the edge that would be inside the barrel.

It will have a pretty large diameter choke comparatively.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i thought that after the california 80% party debacle that "any machine shop" would be off the table and you'd have to go to a proper gunsmith to get firearm work done?

i would suggest contacting ADCO and seeing what they can do for you. i know they do cut barrels and relocate front sights if needed (have had them do so while threading before). i'm betting theres something they could do to help you out.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:11 pm i thought that after the california 80% party debacle that "any machine shop" would be off the table and you'd have to go to a proper gunsmith to get firearm work done?

i would suggest contacting ADCO and seeing what they can do for you. i know they do cut barrels and relocate front sights if needed (have had them do so while threading before). i'm betting theres something they could do to help you out.
The thought of cleaning or checking for a crack being considered “gunsmithing” had not occurred to me. It might be a valid point.

It certainly is not “manufacturing” which is what got the 80% crowd in trouble.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

OMG.. That will be the day some Govt organization tells me I cannot fix repair and maintain ANYTHING I LEGALLY OWN!!

OMG!!

LEGALLY, Federally, that gun needs to have a MINIMUM of a 18" barrel and be 26" or longer OVER ALL when able to be fired. If your state has further regulations, I would not know. (Most add 1/2" to these numbers so that everyones rulers match up.)

But, I have chopped a dozen barrels down (TO LEGAL LENGTHS!!!) that where badly rusted and pitted or cracked as you have. This can happen for steel shot. But as its a 410, Im betting some one was shooting 45 Colts.

Here is a video I just posted on a favorite 410 I made up for myself.

https://youtu.be/FlDAuq_ZmG0

Easily accomplished and ya dont really need a bead up front if your not handy enough to D&T. But Ill provide a tip. Draw or scribe a line from existing front beade to help ya center the hole. Midway and Brownells has the beade and drill & Taps ya need. With a bit of patience and a drill Press its not hard.

Good luck

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dellet wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:40 pm
The thought of cleaning or checking for a crack being considered “gunsmithing” had not occurred to me. It might be a valid point.

It certainly is not “manufacturing” which is what got the 80% crowd in trouble.

i may have misread your post about what you were recommending a machine shop may be able to help with. i thought you were suggesting assisting in the cutting process and not so much the crack detection itself. its could definitely put the business in a very grey area.

i'll admit im probably over cautious about that kind of thing.

although if i owned a machine shop... you couldn't get me to allow a customer in the building with a firearm for any work these days... not worth the risk of them going out and posting how "ACME machining was so helpful this week" on some forum and getting a not so friendly knock from Agent Smith a month or more down the line to explain why you were doing work a FFL licensed shop should have been handling ... yikes!

dellet wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 am Practically speaking you want to find the end of the crack and cut it off at least 1/2” past that. There are ways to do that and some kits are less than $50, or any machine shop should be able to. Manga flux is very commonly available, and there are some die kits. Then you might want to split the cut off portion and make there is not a crack that runs off the edge that would be inside the barrel.[/b].
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

The idea of someone trying to shoot .45 or even .44's through the gun sounds reasonable. Overall, the gun is in good condition. Bore is shinny, no serious dents, dings or deep rust. I took one of my .45 bullets from reloading and put it at the muzzle end at the split. it would not fit, though only barely so. Since steel probably would spring back a little, a .45 could have passed through, then the steel spring back partially. Most shotguns, have at least a little choke. Exception being skeet guns which this is not.

The barrel split right through what was the beaded sight, total about 5/8 inch of split. I only have 1/2 inch #9 shells for snakes and rats so I don't know if it was chambered for 3" shells. I cannot feel a step inside the barrel with a cleaning rod. I cannot find a marking on the barrel except "made in USA, 410 gauge". I cannot find a SN on the gun. The receiver is faintly stamped "Bridge Gun Company". A 3" shell probably would not cause a split if it was shot with a shot shell. I had a hunting buddy growing up that shot 3" shells in his single shot 410 by the hundreds that was chambered 1/2".

I doubt my father-in-law would try with a pistol bullet. Probably a former owner as the gun is old. The only pistol he owned was a Ruger .357 family bought him. I don't think he ever shot it. He was a rabbit hunter and shot shell man. As long as he got a good race with his beagles, he could care less if he got a rabbit.

The gun currently has a 26" barrel with over-all length of 42".
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

A very very high percentage a of ALL 410's not threaded or made for skeet where NOT FULL CHOKE.

BACK IN THE DAY, There was mo 3" so guns made carried zero designation as all ya could get was shorter. I have a Old Beretta that I am Told is a 2 9/16" chamber.

Shot, Lead shot even a 3" is not ever going to split a healthy barrel. A plugged bbl is more Likely to bulge.

If a postol bullet was fired it wouldn't make it out full dia. It WOULD SWADGE DOWN. HOW MUCH? Who knows but the forces involved would likely split the choke.

Again I dont know the laws. But its your gun, and the way I see it, you are within your rights to do as you see fit as long as you dont alter to become a restricted item.

Chop off the split, plus a little and re install a bead and DONT TALK ABOUT IT now you can enjoy the gun.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS