Trying to decide if I need a "big" caliber rilfe in additipn to 5.56/.300blk combo

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

Re: Trying to decide if I need a "big" caliber rilfe in additipn to 5.56/.300blk combo

Post by noname »

Someone mentioned 300 yds. Most likely you will not get a perfect angled shot especially that far away. I would not attempt a shot on a deer that far away, no matter what rifle I used. You have to find the game after you shoot it. Then again, I live and hunt in the rolling high hills of Surry County NC. I suppose if you are in flat country with few trees, it would be a doable range, depending on the capabilities of the shooter and the gun.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
Blackout!
Silent Operator

Re: Trying to decide if I need a "big" caliber rilfe in additipn to 5.56/.300blk combo

Post by Blackout! »

375 H&H. One gun, one planet.

Problem solved.

You’re welcome.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Blackout! wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:59 pm 375 H&H. One gun, one planet.

Problem solved.

You’re welcome.
This is the one hole in my rifle collection/selection... a magnum for big big work (non-African Safari deadlys).
I have no use for a magnum at the moment though. I don't have the opportunity to hunt anything bigger than Axis deer. I can do the 30-06 should I get a chance at Elk or Red Stag. No bears of any kind near me and I'm sure a heavy 30-06 bullet would do the deed nicely on a black bear.

When the day comes that I need a magnum rifle the 375 H&H was already the one I had in mind :)
Blackout!
Silent Operator

Post by Blackout! »

tallburnedmidget wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:57 am
Blackout! wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:59 pm 375 H&H. One gun, one planet.

Problem solved.

You’re welcome.
This is the one hole in my rifle collection/selection... a magnum for big big work (non-African Safari deadlys).
I have no use for a magnum at the moment though. I don't have the opportunity to hunt anything bigger than Axis deer. I can do the 30-06 should I get a chance at Elk or Red Stag. No bears of any kind near me and I'm sure a heavy 30-06 bullet would do the deed nicely on a black bear.

When the day comes that I need a magnum rifle the 375 H&H was already the one I had in mind :)
I have found it to be adequate for anything. 🙂

It really is a very versatile round. Mine loves 270 gr Barnes TTSX. The trajectory is friendly enough to use under longer range situations. If you know your range, and know the actual drop, you can place rounds where you want. I have shot 4 animals between 350 and 400 yards.

Before anyone has a fit, it’s muzzle velocity with 270’s is identical to a 6.5 Creedmore with a 140 gr pill.

And everyone knows the 6.5 Creedmore is a 1000 yard hunting cartridge ... 😐
Blackout!
Silent Operator

Post by Blackout! »

A 338 Win Mag could also be considered as a “one gun” ... gun. It has taken pretty much every animal on the planet including Elephants, and is perfect capable of it.

The 9.3x62 is a solid round. It’s more of a European round, as is most everything metric. It’s been acceptable to shoot dangerous game with it, even though it’s just a 30-06 necked up to a 9.3 mm.

I bought a Husqvarna 146, 9.3x57 and had it reamed out to a 9.3x64. I think I paid $200 for the gun + gunsmithing. It’s gorgeous though.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

Well , I'm not a hunter .
That being said , the .458 Socom is the AR15 ballistic equal of the old 45-70 buffalo round of the trapdoor Springfields / Sharps rifles . It will throw the same bullet at about the same velocity . The 45-70 has taken about anything that walks . If the 45-70 would fill your needs ( weakness would be a flat trajectory ) , then so will the .458 .
Chris