First deer taken for long time Blackout'er (graphic GSW images)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Disregarded9-Side

First deer taken for long time Blackout'er (graphic GSW images)

Post by Disregarded9-Side »

Hey all,

I thought you would appreciate seeing what happened when I shot a fat doe with a 110gr Barnes Tac-TX at <2,400fps. I normally hunt with a 6.8 SPC, but it was thrown from a Gator at about 20mph on the way in from a hunt on Saturday night; the zero was bumped seemingly a Mil. and I didn't have the time or ammo to rezero, so I borrowed my friend's 16" Ruger 300 AAC bolt gun which was ready to roll with the afore mentioned cartridge. Here was Sunday's result:

I was aiming for the high shoulder, and hit just half inch or so to the right/forward than I might have liked--but that did mean I was able to recover more meat. This doe was pulled to the center of the Earth, not so much as a half-step; DRTAF. The bullet chipped the top of the shoulder before obliterating the the spine below the base of the neck and leaving a massive exit wound. When I fist came to the deer, there were four distinct exit holes; I imagine one much large from the proje' and three smaller ones from larger bone fragments. As soon as she was moved for cleaning, the preferatted exit pelt tore into one large hole. I doubt the bullet separated into four exiting pieces, but that's just my guess.

This was a neat experience for me getter to use a cartridge I like, and see it work. Especially now.
I have a (stable, if hot) load that puts out 2,530fps Avg from the same 16" bolt gun. I hope to offer these loaded cartridges for sale by the end of Q1 2022, along with a handful of other sub' and supersonic designed to meet multiple use applications and barrel lengths. Hopefully more on that soon, when and where appropriate.

I hope you all are looking forward to a very Merry Christmas,
Last edited by Disregarded9-Side on Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: First deer taken for long time Blackout'er (graphic GSW images)

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Looks like the bullet did its job. What distance would you estimate? And was this with your hot loaded cartridge?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That bullet is actually a bit fragile at higher velocities. I have had petals come off at impact speeds over 2400 fps and the bullet come apart over 2500.

People tried that bullet when it came out in other cartridges and had the same thing happen. Might be part of what you are seeing.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Disregarded9-Side

ReadyAimDuck wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:04 am Looks like the bullet did its job. What distance would you estimate? And was this with your hot loaded cartridge?
The shot was close; I did not have a range finder, but my buddy and I both eyeballed it at 50 yards even, and no more than 60yds at most.

This was NOT the <2,500 FPS loading, however, it was moving. 20.6gr of H-110 loaded at a longer than 2.6xx" COAL to shoot in the Ruger American. We chrono'd this one at 2,420fps earlier in the weekend.
dellet wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:34 pm That bullet is actually a bit fragile at higher velocities. I have had petals come off at impact speeds over 2400 fps and the bullet come apart over 2500.

People tried that bullet when it came out in other cartridges and had the same thing happen. Might be part of what you are seeing.
Very good information. Having seen this, and noting now that the maximum advertised effective velocity for the Blacktip is between 2,300fps, it does seem likely that the proje' broke apart inside the animal. In this situation, I'm not displeased--but I'm glad this deer wasn't behind a SUV door :p.

Thanks much for the replies and the valuable information. Looks like I'll target a 2,300fps speed for these bullets when loading for longer barrels--which will definitely allow me to chase a better standard deviation.
Disregarded9-Side

So, the bullet from the OP should have hit the doe at below 2,300fps; so maybe it didn't frag'?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It's impossible to say without recovering the bullet, just a stab at explaining multiple exit wounds. The number 2450 FPS for max velocity comes to mind.

There was so much testing and pushing the limits when the cartridge came out, that flaws were found where people or designers did not think people would go. Another example would be the Lehigh sub bullets and others of the same design. Many of them open up in flight if pushed too hard, 1300 FPS and such.

The bullet in the above pictures certainly did its job, but if the petals came of in the first 2" of penetration, you end up with 50 grains of bullet moving pretty slow trying to get the job done. It's just something to be aware of in the bullet design.

Honestly, it was not designed as a hunting bullet, more for tactical use. It just works well on tissue.

By the way, I would not be afraid to shoot a deer behind a car door with it.

viewtopic.php?t=83535
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.