NON-Gun Video from Work

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

NON-Gun Video from Work

Post by Dr.Phil »

One of our classes made this video for their graduation last week.
It is probably the best one I've seen our student put out yet.
https://youtu.be/MyyPDQ3DZZY
//BZ// Class 120-16!

To add context, USCG AST "A" School (aka Helicopter Rescue Swimmer School) starts off with a class of 25 students and has a graduating class averages 4 -6.
Thought that the group on this forum might appreciate it.
It is my honor to play a small role in preparing these fine men.
Enjoy...
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: NON-Gun Video from Work

Post by BlogSarge »

I'm an avid boater and I spend a whole bunch of hours on the Great Lakes each summer. I've never needed the USCG, but whenever I hear the distinctive whine of the Dolphin choppers from AS Traverse City, my heart gladdens knowing they are there.

The rescue swimmers are some bad-ass dudes. God bless you all, stay safe and thanks for being there.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Enjoyed that. Thanks
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

Up here in Alaska, the Coast Guard plays a frighteningly large role in boating, especially on the western coast of Alaska and the Bering Sea. If you ever get a chance to talk to some of the emergency rescue swimmers that have been stationed up here, you'll hear stories (and probably see footage) of chopper pilots battling 80 mph winds and swimmers going into 30 foot seas to rip people out of the ocean. Just like with all other branches of the military, it takes a different kind of person to jump into an environment that's trying to kill you in order to protect those that are helpless. We are quite thankful to have such individuals up here on call 24/7.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Very cool, Phil.

As a civilian, I am often humbled by what our armed services train for, as well as their sacrifices.

Tip of the cap and a hearty salute to you and yours; certainly unknown and unheralded throughout much of the country.

Cheers!
Scratch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scratch »

Great video. Very inspirational. Makes me appreciate what they do even more. Thanks for sharing.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

cool video! being a commercial fisherman I have had many interactions with the USCG over the years. some good, some bad. but I have always had a lot of respect and admiration for them. especially the rescue swimmers.
Dr Phil - was that filmed at the Opalocka, Fla. air base?
peace through superior firepower
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

That was really good Phil.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

blaster wrote:Dr Phil - was that filmed at the Opalocka, Fla. air base?
Our facility is located in Elizabeth City, NC
All USCG Aviation Rates have their "A" Schools located at the Aviation Technical Training Center here in NC.
https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg1/attc/
Of course we also have the Aviation Maintenance Technician & Aviation Electronics Technician "A" Schools here as well.

Here is a video explaining the AST "A" School.
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/298303/c ... r-training

Here is one of the "C" Schools that we put on for the boat guys.
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/309819/c ... th-city-nc

Glad some folks were able to enjoy the video.
I wasn't expecting the production quality to be so good, considering these guys put it together while completing the course.
It was pretty powerful watching it on a big screen right before their graduation.
Adding to that was that the back of the room was filled with operational Rescue Swimmers.
(All the local ASTs that can make it, traditionally attend all "A" School graduations to welcome them into the community.)

'Semper Paratus'
To all those Coasties on this forum, help the other folks out with the translation.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Great video Dr. Phil! Those guys did an excellent job, and to be able to get it done while completing a course like that is beyond impressive. Growing up on the other end of the NC coast, I've always enjoyed seeing the coasties on the water. We've got a small station just up the road on oak island and as a kid I had a blast when they would let us come on station and tour the boats.