blackout's big brother - heavy metal complete - finally!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: blackout's big brother - heavy metal complete - finally!

Post by rebel »

Plant - great lookin' rifle. Keep us posted on the trouble shooting. R.tenorio, good solid info that I will use in the future on a heavy metal build.
Last edited by rebel on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

not having to roll pin the FA into the upper was a nice perk with the AERO upper.

my dpms bcg rides the upper nicely, likewise with whatever charging handle i have (may well be a dpms with an extended latch on it, not sure... i dont think its a fancy aftermarket one)

otherwise upper assembly was very straightforward - it assembled about the same as any AR upper ive ever put togther. i do like the UTG handguards and their barrel nut. they're not built with a bunch of holes where the gas tube has to go through the barrel nut. so you can torque them to where they need to be and you're done. no fine tuning the gas tube hole location, etc. get it to 35-40 ftlbs and call it a day.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...FWIW, BA is having a good sale on the NiB .308 BCG's right now.

For those whom their LGS doesn't carry Aero products, Brownell's and DOA currently have pricing lower than Aero's site for NON-BLEM uppers/lowers or the combo sets. Aero has BLEM's for some really good pricing too. To be honest, I've used alot of Aero "BLEMS" in AR15 builds and I've never been able to really detect what was the "blem" was when comparing to the non-blems.
ThreeHundredTraveler
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredTraveler »

My 10 Variants are a 308 on an 18 inch barrel and a 45 Raptor. same lower for both.

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

r.tenorio671 wrote:...FWIW, BA is having a good sale on the NiB .308 BCG's right now.

For those whom their LGS doesn't carry Aero products, Brownell's and DOA currently have pricing lower than Aero's site for NON-BLEM uppers/lowers or the combo sets. Aero has BLEM's for some really good pricing too. To be honest, I've used alot of Aero "BLEMS" in AR15 builds and I've never been able to really detect what was the "blem" was when comparing to the non-blems.

i'm not seeing the sale price, just the listed $265, which is the same price as aero is selling them for. which as far as i can see is only 10 or 15 under market price, other than the radical firearms 308 bcg.

primary arms has the Fail Zero EXO (NiB) 308 BCG on sale for $199 right now
https://www.primaryarms.com/Fail_Zero_E ... -01-nh.htm
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i picked up a hornady bullet comparator set tonight. just to investigate. grabbed the ammo i tested and removed 5 rounds from each box. data as follows. (all values rounded down to the nearest thousandth)

hornady 168 amax match
(comparator length and then OAL without comparator)
3.175 2.804
3.175 2.804
3.174 2.802
3.176 2.800
3.174 2.804
average: comparator = 3.175 oal = 2.803
Comparator to ogive = 0.002 ES OAL = 0.004 ES

LC13 XM80C
(comparator length and then oal without comparator)
3.212 2.789
3.191 2.777
3.208 2.788
3.205 2.789
3.223 2.789
average: comparator = 3.208 oal = 2.789
Comparator to Ogive = 0.032 ES OAL = 0.012 ES

CBC 13 7.62 ball
(comparator length and then OAL without comparator)
3.190 2.783
3.202 2.786
3.195 2.790
3.202 2.786
3.202 2.790
average: comparator = 3.198 OAL = 2.787
Comparator to Ogive = 0.012 ES OAL = 0.007 ES

i'm too exhausted tonight to figure out the chamber gauge. i'll screw with that tomorrow and see what it gives me.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

so i've used the OAL gauge a couple times now, multiple times to verify my measurements.

i keep getting a bolt face to lands measurement (based on when the ogive of a 168 amax stops at the lands) of 2.233 or 2.232. out of 10 measurements, they've all been in that +/- .001 range. please note that this puts the lake city maximum ogive measurement i got 0.010 off the lands - gee i wonder why i pierced a primer!

SAAMI spec (confirmed by Jason at mega - their barrel spec is SAAMI minimum chamber dimensions) is 2.302 for that measurement, so my throat measurement is roughly speaking.. -0.069 shorter than SAAMI minimum.

they're going to open a RMA for me, but this is two bad barrels (both with different problems) in a row from mega. i'm not even sure if i want a mega barrel anymore, or if i should just go get my $ back and invest in something else.

i'm pretty comfortable that if i send it to mega, they'll go above and beyond to get me a in-spec barrel, but shit, you'd think after a couple barrels already i could get a good one off a retail shelf.

they're still telling me i have either a bolt/bcg or an overgassing problem. or both. and have asked me to shoot it again, with the gas block turned way down. their spec for gas port on this barrel is 0.090.

just not sure how i want to go forward at this point.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

just for giggles, i got my DPMS factory barreled uppper out and measured it with the OAL gauge. came up with 2.299-2.300 reading on 5 tests. so a chamber who's throat measurement is all but 0.002 or 0.003 from spec.

if it matters.

i dug into the box of gun-stuff, and got the factory buffer out.

this is on a lower with a 6 position adjustable stock, factory spring.

factory buffer is 2.482" long, 3.7oz weight
current buffer is 2.521" (compressed) 3.9oz weight. This is a Enidine AR-restor Hydraulic buffer.

so the installed buffer is 0.41 longer and 0.2oz heavier than the factory configuration buffer that was in the lower.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

quick update.

MEGA is sending me a new, headspace verified, dimpled, cleaned and otherwise ready to install barrel. Thank you Jason :)

going to verify throat measurements, and then have the headspace double checked against my bolt & hopefully i'll be able to install and then get out and enjoy this thing.

*fingers crossed*
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

Good luck!
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.