blackout's big brother - heavy metal complete - finally!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Re: blackout's big brother - heavy metal complete - finally!

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....good info, plant, thanks!
DeadRaibead
Silent Operator

Post by DeadRaibead »

Glad I got one of those earlier dumpasses(DPMS) that ain't picky. Even with the cheapo scope that has since been replaced, it will poke holes in what I point at. :P

I do not see where bolt face to lands measurement has any bearing on pierced primers.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

DeadRaibead wrote:Glad I got one of those earlier dumpasses(DPMS) that ain't picky. Even with the cheapo scope that has since been replaced, it will poke holes in what I point at. :P

I do not see where bolt face to lands measurement has any bearing on pierced primers.

if its too close to the lands, and the bullet cant get moving, it can cause possible pressure spikes. a couple of the bullets i was having trouble with were (due to inconsistent bullet shape on the m80s) were within about 0.010 or less of the lands.

a pressure spike can cause the primer to blow through the firing pin contact point cant it?

that said, i have a fresh barrel on hand direct from MEGA. my smith had his headspace gauges out of the shop, but they'll be back early next week. in the meantime i'm busily scrubbing the hell out of the bore and the chamber. still dont have a clean patch yet. the chamber is looking pretty good, but the bore is still sheding residue from the nitriding process. most of the first dozen patches came out looking just filthy.

i did hit it with the OAL gauge, and while i cant get a full 2.302, its got a longer throat than the last barrel - i dont have the numbers in front of me right now but its definatly better. enough so i'm willing to take it out and see what happens.

i'm beginning to wonder if part of my issue on the last barrel wasnt the SBN residue in the chamber as well the incredibly short throat.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
DeadRaibead
Silent Operator

Post by DeadRaibead »

What primers are you using? You must be close to the edge of pressure if a minimal land clearance is causing you problems.

You may also consider a Redding case comparator, and learn how to use it to figure out just what is going on. :oops:

one of these in 308win will work on any but the shortest 08 wildcats and also will work for any 06 hybrids. Your 308 will come with a 300 bushing that will coincide with your "lands" measurement.

You can use a go gage, and figure out how much headspace you have also, along with oal case length. Costly toy, but it does pay out in the end if you can use as it is designed. :mrgreen:
Last edited by DeadRaibead on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

DeadRaibead wrote:What primers are you using? You must be close to the edge of pressure if a minimal land clearance is causing you problems.

You may also consider a Redding case comparator, and learn how to use it to figure out just what is going on. :oops:
please go back and read the thread.

they're factory loads. lake city was the ones that the primer blew through. CBC (magtech) ball stuck the case in the chamber and ripped off the rim. Hornady match had heavily cratered primers.
its not seen a single reload into the bad barrel.

i have a hornady comparator set already, as well as a hornady OAL gauge for measuring the distance to the lands.

i'm not spending any more $$ on measuring equipment for a barrel i discovered with the above two tools to be problematic, and that has already been replaced by the manufacturer. i already invested over $100 into measuring equipment already for this project - the OAL gauge, comparator, and a set of micrometers.

as i said, i'm waiting for my 'smith to get his go/nogo's back into the shop so i can double verify that my bolt and this barrel headspace properly.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
DeadRaibead
Silent Operator

Post by DeadRaibead »

We must have been cross posting. I am sorry that you are using Hornady hand held measurements :lol: I will let you go thru another barrel or two.
Good luck with your problem! Btw, oal doesn't necessarily mean chit......... :lol:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

so i'll bite.

what exactly is so bad with hornady equipment (other than its not redding?)

i get very consistent measurements out of my tools. and the accuracy of both my calipers and micrometer (neither of which is hornady tyvm) has been verified against certified calibrated tools on known diameter bar stock.

any other pointers you can give me that i can debunk for you tonight?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

as an update. since r.tenorio brought up my thread

I have verified the headspace with my bolt - closes on go, wont close on no-go. yay.

will have it installed later tonight and hope to be able to get behind the trigger later this weekend or next weekend at the latest. i have several family commitments to deal with this holiday weekend so its up in the air on the range time can be snuck in around my regular weekend stuff.

*fingers crossed*
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....just a FYI on the GO, NO-GO gauges....

...Ballistic Advantage uses PTG reamers on their barrels and use PTG gauges for their in-shop QA and production monitoring.

I was unable to get PTG gauages at the time so I used the Clymer set for .308 Win, Brownell's product code "184000038WB, .308 Win. Headspace Gauge Kit". NOTE: The set is also marked "Match" on the gauge itself.
NannySlayer
Silent Operator

Post by NannySlayer »

You will enjoy the crap out of it... I went the opposite. I have had an AR-10 for 5 or 6 years... Now I am making the blkout