Pressure Ring

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hitman206

Pressure Ring

Post by hitman206 »

I've started reloading rounds and have noticed that the seating plunger is leaving a crease around the upper portion of the bullet. I'm using Hornady 208gr BTHP Match with ACCURATE 1680. According to the Hornady manual I can use 15.3 gr of powder which is the max charge for this round. Looking at the amount of powder in the case it seems that the round is bottoming out on the powder causing the pressure ring on the bullet. I have since reduced the powder charge to 14.3 and have seen no signs of the pressure ring. I'm very leery of shooting the rounds with the pressure rings and I do have several rounds made up already. Any and all reposes will be greatly appreciated.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Pressure Ring

Post by dellet »

hitman206 wrote:I've started reloading rounds and have noticed that the seating plunger is leaving a crease around the upper portion of the bullet. I'm using Hornady 208gr BTHP Match with ACCURATE 1680. According to the Hornady manual I can use 15.3 gr of powder which is the max charge for this round. Looking at the amount of powder in the case it seems that the round is bottoming out on the powder causing the pressure ring on the bullet. I have since reduced the powder charge to 14.3 and have seen no signs of the pressure ring. I'm very leery of shooting the rounds with the pressure rings and I do have several rounds made up already. Any and all reposes will be greatly appreciated.
Too much powder compression, you might be able to use a different seating stem or move the bullet out some as a workaround.

It's also possible that Hornady used different brass with more case capacity and you're in for an unpleasant surprise if you shoot those loads. The ring on the jacket would not worry me so much as excessive pressure on the other end. 1680 is kinda like that with heavy bullets at max charge weights and compressed loads.

Starting at a max charge is always a bad idea.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

are you trying to load these as subs or supers?
what COAL are you using?

if you're going for subs, bullets around that weight range using 1680 are gonna be somewhere near to about 11 grains, not anywhere close to the max load....
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
hitman206

Post by hitman206 »

dellet wrote:
hitman206 wrote:I've started reloading rounds and have noticed that the seating plunger is leaving a crease around the upper portion of the bullet. I'm using Hornady 208gr BTHP Match with ACCURATE 1680. According to the Hornady manual I can use 15.3 gr of powder which is the max charge for this round. Looking at the amount of powder in the case it seems that the round is bottoming out on the powder causing the pressure ring on the bullet. I have since reduced the powder charge to 14.3 and have seen no signs of the pressure ring. I'm very leery of shooting the rounds with the pressure rings and I do have several rounds made up already. Any and all reposes will be greatly appreciated.
Too much powder compression, you might be able to use a different seating stem or move the bullet out some as a workaround.

It's also possible that Hornady used different brass with more case capacity and you're in for an unpleasant surprise if you shoot those loads. The ring on the jacket would not worry me so much as excessive pressure on the other end. 1680 is kinda like that with heavy bullets at max charge weights and compressed loads.

Didn't start with the max charge. Using Hornady tenth edition load data, loaded five rounds of each 10.4, 11.3, 12.3, 13.3, 14.3, and 15.3. Went to the range to see how the each load would function. My results were that 14.3 and 15.3 would cycle and feed properly. Don't have a suppressor right now so not really trying to achieve sub or super load. After cutting, resizing, and trimming case length is 1.368 and COAL is 2.250.
zedhound

Post by zedhound »

I would be surprised if they chambered. Normally when you seating into a compressed load the diameter will get larger because you can’t seat it any further so the bullet bludges out if you do it hard enough.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

hitman206 wrote:
dellet wrote:

Didn't start with the max charge. Using Hornady tenth edition load data, loaded five rounds of each 10.4, 11.3, 12.3, 13.3, 14.3, and 15.3. Went to the range to see how the each load would function. My results were that 14.3 and 15.3 would cycle and feed properly. Don't have a suppressor right now so not really trying to achieve sub or super load. After cutting, resizing, and trimming case length is 1.368 and COAL is 2.250.
All of those should have had full function. Sometimes in a new assembly things can be a bit stiff, but by 12 grains it should have been know problem. There is a function problem.

What is barrel and gas tube length?

Port size if possible.

Buffer weight and carrier style.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.