Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely. update 7/1/18

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely. update 7/1/18

Post by dellet »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Exceeding 5.56 in every way.
Except BC in lighter bullets and
WAIT FOR IT............................
under $10 a box plinking ammo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely. update 7/1/18

Post by BlogSarge »

Kudos dellet! I for one appreciate your exploration of the cartridges potential. I have always felt that the lighter, faster, flatter weight bullets have not been explored as they could be. Your tests are right on target.

Now, if you can get some factory to produce your loads it’ll rock!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I really don't have much to add here, but for the sake of discussion I will throw this out there. My mind always goes to hunting and accuracy first so I would like to see a high BC, flatbase , thin jacketed bullet in the 80 - 90 gr weight range developed for this round. As dellet has shown, using very simple and safe methods, I believe 2800 to 2850 would be achievable. All copper would make the bullet long for weight but also reduce the speed threshold of performance. I still think, with a bit of thought, it could be done with lead and a jacket.
Thinking Blackout usually conjures up images of suppressors, night vision and special ops. That is the industries thinking predominantly.
Getting them to think of Blackout for say...short range BR competition, would probably bring looks of doubt and derision. I certainly think 300 Blackout's overall potential has been overlooked largely buy the industry but certainly not by dellet.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

rebel wrote:I really don't have much to add here, but for the sake of discussion I will throw this out there. My mind always goes to hunting and accuracy first so I would like to see a high BC, flatbase , thin jacketed bullet in the 80 - 90 gr weight range developed for this round. As dellet has shown, using very simple and safe methods, I believe 2800 to 2850 would be achievable. All copper would make the bullet long for weight but also reduce the speed threshold of performance. I still think, with a bit of thought, it could be done with lead and a jacket.
Thinking Blackout usually conjures up images of suppressors, night vision and special ops. That is the industries thinking predominantly.
Getting them to think of Blackout for say...short range BR competition, would probably bring looks of doubt and derision. I certainly think 300 Blackout's overall potential has been overlooked largely buy the industry but certainly not by dellet.

I’m right with you on this. Gorilla offered an 85gr all copper round and I was excited about it until it disappeared from their website. A lighter, faster, flatter-shooting load would expand the blackout’s appeal greatly.

We gotta get dellet to start loading commercially. I can see it now, “Dellet Bullit Werx”
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

rebel wrote:
Rebel- I couldn't agree more. 300blk has so much potential with handloaders. To paraphrase dellet, "Treat 8" 12" 16" barrels and loads as different rifles".
85-265 grain bullets...900-3000fps still makes me shake my head.
I am still coloring just outside the lines but am enjoying the discovery process.
:twisted:
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Here is a little comparison to see the details. Put up a standard 125 TNT load against the Maker. I guessed that the Maker bullet has a coefficient of .220? Very interesting stuff Dellet, as usual.

The maker has a flatter trajectory and has a HUGE energy advantage at close range. If my numbers are right, energy is probably equal at about 150yds

Just for fun
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TreeTop might be a bit generous with a BC at .225. Looking at the drop from 50-100 yards it looked closer to .175. I hope to get out to 200 this weekend.

If that number is close I’m expecting 5.5-6” drop at 200. Then that would put the drop at 500 around 85” in my altitude and conditions.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.