Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely. update 7/1/18

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

JBMauser
Silent Operator

Re: Extreme Blackout, What are the limits and how do we explore them safely.

Post by JBMauser »

dellet, your holy black load is interesting but I will pass now as I only have an AR in 300. Holy Black would not be very kind to that silly skinny tube that makes the AR go Bang!.. I am looking at the Ruger bolt gun in 300 AAC and I would break out the Goex for that but for now not so much.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet wrote:
rebel wrote:I have an old box of Hornady 130's that I've messed with. Spire point, good profile. If you want I can send you some, didn't know how much you wanted to clean :mrgreen:
I'm going down the LT-30 road right now, got to help with that if I can. 8)
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:
dellet wrote:
rebel wrote:I have an old box of Hornady 130's that I've messed with. Spire point, good profile. If you want I can send you some, didn't know how much you wanted to clean :mrgreen:
I'm going down the LT-30 road right now, got to help with that if I can. 8)
I don't have much on that powder yet, I keep getting sidetracked. There is some info posted on the forum for heavy bullets that came from Accurate. 11.5-12.5 grains.

I found that 11 grains cycled everything I had on the shelf, everything above 150 grains stayed subsonic. 125's cycled, but I know velocity was high, about 1180 I think.

I seated everything as deep as I could, on the 125's I cut the brass to 1.350, and seated he bullet with the ogive about .010 above the neck. Just enough to hold a crimp.

Keep in mind this was a 18" barrel with a carbine length gas, non suppressed. It is probably the most forgiving powder I have worked with for subs, but it did seemed dirty and loud. I have not revisited with a pistol gas.

It will be good to get some solid data on it.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

1680 with a bit of fill at 9 grains did not do squat. This was done at night, just farting around. I'll try to send some over a chrono soon to get some data. This was with a 130 COD bullet. Fill won't increase gas volume, just getting consistant ignition.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:1680 with a bit of fill at 9 grains did not do squat. This was done at night, just farting around. I'll try to send some over a chrono soon to get some data. This was with a 130 COD bullet. Fill won't increase gas volume, just getting consistant ignition.
Was that the carbine or the sbr?

I'll see if I can get the 125's to lock back with a suppressor. If that works, maybe I could pull a couple of 120's and try, that would be a better comparison for 130 cast.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

sbr unsupressed, as said just farting around.
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

The blackpowder load was interesting! Any sub data?

The funnest thing I've done is load pulled M1 carbine tracers (M27) over 5 grains of trailboss. Its like a roman candle on steriods ! Out of my Micro 7 all you hear is the firing pin click & then you can actually hear the bullet "sizzle" as it flies away. Too much fun! I need to find more.
WTB: exotic ammo! AP, tracers, etc. Money waiting, whatcha got?
kroeker
Silent But Deadly

Post by kroeker »

I'm also trying to test the limits on the blackout. Once I get I get a chronograph I'm going to try a load for long range. Flat line bullets claim they're 155 gr palma bullet will run 125 gr speeds and has a BC of .533 so if my figuring is right that supersonic to 1000 yrds.

Lil gun or 1680 looks like a winner for speed and lapua now making brass means should be able to get good es numbers. Will be an expensive round at $1.25 a bullet but if I could keep sub moa out to 800 yrds it could be worth it.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

The single most important thing I do to brass for consistency sake is uniform, chamfer and deburr the flash holes of cases. I now consider it part of the process of making brass. It was responsible for helping my break into the .2" CTC groups sizes in a 223 bolt gun. Before I started doing this the best that rifle could muster was over twice that at 100 yards.

Having an accurate rifle is not just the rifle but what you feed it.

I spent years chasing groups. I finally quit when I realized I was spending way more time and money getting ready to shoot rather than actually shooting.

A long range 300 Blackout has been on my mind for some time now. I have 400-500 matched prepped cases waiting to be loaded.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:The single most important thing I do to brass for consistency sake is uniform, chamfer and deburr the flash holes of cases. I now consider it part of the process of making brass.
I second this...
Through years of load develpment, I have discovered that this is the single best ROI when it comes to brass prep.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain