Handloading - basic and advanced

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handloading - basic and advanced

Post by dellet »

BoomerVF14 wrote:Awesome Dr. Phil, thanks for the lesson!

Bringing it back to the spirit of the OP, I have another question...

Acknowledging all the sage advice about loading small charge increments at recommended COAL from published sources (which I have already loaded to and plan to shoot/evaluate soon), and reading about the CBTO considerations in Litz's article earlier in this thread, can anyone recommend a good (and safe!) method for experimenting with COAL/CBTO?

I haven't even tried this yet, but wouldn't a basic process be something like this:
1. Gauge your rifle's chamber distance from bolt face to lands
2. Determine your desired jump to the lands (.02"?)
3. Determine CBTO & COAL for each of your projectile types that achieves your desired jump (ARs being limited to the max COAL that can fit in the mag)

If your desired CBTO/COAL differs from the published COAL, what then? What are some increments you can experiment with in both COAL and charge that will be safe? I tend to think it would be safe to lengthen COAL at constant charge, then build up again - what's a good increment?

(Better yet, am I wasting my time with these considerations given I'm running an AR?)
Here is an example of what can be accomplished by manipulating lengths and charges:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=96500&p=928151#p928151

Methods and tools should be discussed here.

The first thing you need is the measuring tools pictured earlier in this thread, a chronograph, and as much data gathered as possible.

Another book I like is "Handloading for competition, Making the target bigger" by Glen Zediker. Very technically advanced written in a very basic way so less read, newer loaders can understand what he is doing.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

This is a thread I started that shares a bit of advanced and a bit of exreme -just a bit 8)
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=96401
Tools and method are listed there in testing a bullet I haven't tried.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

Reloading for 30+ years here. Rifle, pistol, shotgun and cast for all 3

Yet with a new cartridge (to me) like the 300 BLK, I need to study up and buy a book or 3, as already stated here. Cabelas has small pamplet style caliber specific manuals, cheap, and as I am now set up to reload 300, including 230 grain Lee bullet molds, the research is on, including reading this thread. Reloading can be safe and fun if you follow the rules..
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

BlackLight wrote:Reloading for 30+ years here. Rifle, pistol, shotgun and cast for all 3

Yet with a new cartridge (to me) like the 300 BLK, I need to study up and buy a book or 3, as already stated here. Cabelas has small pamplet style caliber specific manuals, cheap, and as I am now set up to reload 300, including 230 grain Lee bullet molds, the research is on, including reading this thread. Reloading can be safe and fun if you follow the rules..
as far as i know there is no "one caliber" book for 300 blk.

the largest dataset available in paper for the caliber is hornady's 9th. Nosler's 7th data is published online.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/ ... -blackout/
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

plant.one wrote:
BlackLight wrote:Reloading for 30+ years here. Rifle, pistol, shotgun and cast for all 3

as far as i know there is no "one caliber" book for 300 blk.

the largest dataset available in paper for the caliber is hornady's 9th. Nosler's 7th data is published online.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/ ... -blackout/

I'll post if Cabelas has one.. I recently bought several, one being 45 ACP. My first SS loads will be Hornady 125 gr SSTs
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

As plant mentioned, Hornady probably has the largest published hardcopy data. The forum here has the by far the most real world data which includes a lot of failures. My personal experience is, It is a small cartridge that can perform very well. To get that performance, attention to detail is required. Much smaller changes, bring much bigger results.

This page has links to most online published data:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=86656

Here is a link to a custom search of this forum that will help you find things little easier:

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx ... tl9hapdoi0
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

BlackLight wrote:

I'll post if Cabelas has one.. I recently bought several, one being 45 ACP. My first SS loads will be Hornady 125 gr SSTs

they're produced by loadbooks USA, they only offer 68 calibers... 300blk not being on the list. so cabela's doesnt carry it. if it was out there i'd have one on the shelf already. i have one for every caliber i load except blackout because i keep my pet load notes in them so i dont have to write in my "good" hardcover reloading books.

here's the website if you'd like to look at the full listing

http://www.loadbooks.com/

i did fire off an email to see if they plan on releasing one soon though :)

HTH.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

Thanks for the links and plant.one, let us know how they respond
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

I doubt they have plans to print a 300 blk loadbook. There is just not enough selection in bullets and powders to justify the cost. Search the handload section and take notes of what others have as proven loads. Might take you some time but there will be more info than any published data on the market.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

they just replied and it appears they have one in the works!