Best 200+ bullet for Pig hunting with Subs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ewn

Best 200+ bullet for Pig hunting with Subs

Post by ewn »

Which 200+ gr bullets offer best expansion on Pig sized game with Sub-sonic loads. There are a lot of Match grade bullets available but most manufactures don't recommend them for Hunting, I assume that is because they expect them to be driven at Super-sonic velocities
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best 200+ bullet for Pig hunting with Subs

Post by gds »

Outlaw state
Lehigh Defense
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Outlaw state or a cast HP are about all I can think of in 200 plus.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

I plan on trying some of the offerings from Outlaw State once I'm in super stealth mode. :twisted:
However, on my land, hogs are a nuisance so even hitting them with a bullet that doesn't expand at the sub velocities it's no big deal.
I'd just as well like it if they ran off and died somewhere else. I know some don't like to hear that but it's just the way it is. You can come and a ask any landowner around us and they will tell you the same.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

ewn wrote:Which 200+ gr bullets offer best expansion on Pig sized game with Sub-sonic loads. There are a lot of Match grade bullets available but most manufactures don't recommend them for Hunting, I assume that is because they expect them to be driven at Super-sonic velocities
There are only two companies that make subsonic bullets that expand/perform at subsonic (or supersonic) speeds, Lehigh Defense and Outlaw State Bullets.

The normal 200gr+ bullets out there likely have a minimum expansion of 1800fps and as you mention about Match grade bullets those aren't even made to expand really.

I personally would earhole or eyeball a hog with a 200gr+ match bullet as they are nuisance animals here plus I think chances are it would automatically drop them when placed in those locations. If they run off and die somewhere else so be it. I for one am not keen on tracking wounded animals that can so easily mess you up out of nowhere :)
Jmorrismetal
Silent Operator

Post by Jmorrismetal »

KTMRacer wrote: However, on my land, hogs are a nuisance so even hitting them with a bullet that doesn't expand at the sub velocities it's no big deal.
Not to mention a 200g sub has about the same energy as a 45 acp pistol. Might rather have penetration at that point.