First range session with new AAC barrelled blackout.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Re: First range session with new AAC barrelled blackout.

Post by KneverKnew »

Alien wrote:The Varminter failed to load last round is common. I found that if I used a Lancer L5 AWM mag in 10 or 30 round I did not have the last round fail in my gun. Seems to be my Magpuls follower would set the bullet to far to the left and the last round would hit the left feed ramp and damage the bullet and case in my gun. Too much surface area on the nose of that bullet.

That being said, you can get some really tight groups out of those bad boys. Only bullet I found that would rival the 125 SMK's in group size out of my gun.
Can you tell what OAL you loaded the varminters too?
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

For my CMMG 16" 1 in 7 COL 2.013 Comparator 1.619. For my Wilson Combat 18" 1 in 8 COL 1.950 Comparator 1.555. My Wilson Barrel has some really tight tolerances more like you find on a bolt gun rather than an AR. Both Guns will do .5 @ 100 yards with Varminters.

There is a thread on this forum about 300-MP and the Varminters, some peeps were even loading these out to a COL 2.04. Not very much bullet in the case at that COL, but it worked for them.

Here is thread on the Varminters: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=84016&hilit=varminters
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

RDA wrote:No, I never stated I know for sure, that is why I said AFAIK (as far as I know). I disassembled a few factory Barnes 110 Blacktip and found the powder to be in the 19.2g-19.3g range and the powder looked just like the H110 I have. I worked up some loads with the same bullets and same length in some converted LC 300 BLK brass up to 20g. I found that the loads I had in the 19.2g to 19.3g range chronoed the same as the factory loads. So, even if it isn't H110, I found that an equivalent H110 load delivered the same speed as the factory rounds.

I agree that 2,350 was likely from a 16" barrel. 20g of H110 resulted in 2,432 fps on average from a 16" barrel I had. 19.3g of H110 in my 9" AAC barrel resulted in 2,202 fps average (very similar to the factory rounds shot the same day from the same barrel).

Disclaimer: The above is not reloading advice, work up your own loads in your own guys safely.
RDA,
I will be switching over from LilGun to H110 and try to work up a load ladder that will hopefully get me up to the 19.2-19.3 range that gave you the factory load velocities. Would you mind sharing the AOL measurements so I can try and get things as close as possible? I typically seat the 110 blacktips to 2.25". Thanks.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

KneverKnew wrote:
RDA wrote:No, I never stated I know for sure, that is why I said AFAIK (as far as I know). I disassembled a few factory Barnes 110 Blacktip and found the powder to be in the 19.2g-19.3g range and the powder looked just like the H110 I have. I worked up some loads with the same bullets and same length in some converted LC 300 BLK brass up to 20g. I found that the loads I had in the 19.2g to 19.3g range chronoed the same as the factory loads. So, even if it isn't H110, I found that an equivalent H110 load delivered the same speed as the factory rounds.

I agree that 2,350 was likely from a 16" barrel. 20g of H110 resulted in 2,432 fps on average from a 16" barrel I had. 19.3g of H110 in my 9" AAC barrel resulted in 2,202 fps average (very similar to the factory rounds shot the same day from the same barrel).

Disclaimer: The above is not reloading advice, work up your own loads in your own guys safely.
RDA,
I will be switching over from LilGun to H110 and try to work up a load ladder that will hopefully get me up to the 19.2-19.3 range that gave you the factory load velocities. Would you mind sharing the AOL measurements so I can try and get things as close as possible? I typically seat the 110 blacktips to 2.25". Thanks.
Factory OAL (and what I am using) is 2.240"