Barrel length/twist: 16", 1/7 twist, pistol gas
Bullet used: 110 V-max
Powder used: 4.0 grains of Alliant Red Dot
Case: reformed LC case by Rockey Brass, 1x fired
Primer: CCI-450
COAL: 2.085
Velocity: no chrono
Accuracy: 1.5" 5 shot groups at 50 yards w/Leupold VX-6 1-6x

I started at 5.1 grains of Red Dot and worked down. 4.1 grains and below was clearly subsonic. When fired through my Form 1 30 cal suppressor, it is RIDICULOUSLY quiet. A similar noise level (or lack there of!) to a suppressed 22 LR bolt gun w/subsonic ammo. All rounds fed from a standard PMAG, although obviously they required hand cycling of action.

I had originally wanted to use the 90 XTP's, but had some 110 V-max on hand to see if Red Dot worked well. I will be trying these next. I think if you are not seeking any expansion, any of the various flavors of 110 grain bullets will work fine with this recipe.
Okiedelta

Re: Light Weight subsonic Single Shot Loads

Post by Okiedelta »

Why is it ‘obvious’ that they had to be hand cycled in a semi-auto gun? Sort of defeats the whole purpose doesn’t it?
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Okiedelta wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 pm Why is it ‘obvious’ that they had to be hand cycled in a semi-auto gun? Sort of defeats the whole purpose doesn’t it?
Depends on what his purpose was. If he wanted as quiet as you can get, he nailed it.
Okiedelta

Post by Okiedelta »

I guess so. I know this thread is ‘sub loads with single shot’ which I assumed to mean bolt rifle. I guess I missed the point. If gun functioning doesn’t matter on this quest, and all we are looking for is quiet, load that AR with just a case holding just enough powder to get the bullet to leave the barrel, maybe 100-200 FPS. That ought to be vewy vewy kwiet.
exexex

Post by exexex »

I think that's the deal: don't count on loads cycling a semi-auto. Kind of like shooting large bullets out of 556 AR that won't fit into a magazine: you can only shoot one at a time. Some interesting loads here, especially for 300BLK bolt guns I have.

FWIW/not related to OPs question. I found that A1680 subsonic 300BLK handloads have much better chance of cycling and maybe getting a last-shot-bolt lockback than at least similar fps loads with H110, Also factory SIG Sauer 300BLK 220grain Subsonic rated at 1000fps has cycled multiple full mags ok through my AR's. Lockback might only get far enough to lock back on BCG instead of the bolt face, but it will lock back.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

ig720 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:12 am I'm going to bump this thread for new recipes.

I really liked the LUCKY13 green Zombie 123, but they're no longer available.

Just curious as to what folks are using as a replacement.
https://accuraoutdoors.com/product/308-120-sp/

im pretty sure those are the old highborn powerbond 120's... they make a sweet sub load. i shoot them over 4.6 gr of trailboss.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

For my dirt cheap plinker loads I settled on light charges of TiteWad (not TiteGroup) and Xtreme plated 110gr .30 carbine bullets. Also some with 150gr Xtreme FPs.

Accuracy is fair at ~1" at 50yds and report is air rifle quiet thru my YHM Sidewinder on my CVA V2.

Charges are so light you must be certain your equipment is accurate and you are not distracted when loading it.

I'll PM my data as it's way off any published data if anyone wants it. Use at your own risk..yadda...yadda. Not responsible etc..
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Firearm: CVA pistol
Barrel length/twist: 11.5", 1/7 twist
Bullet used: 125 SMK
Powder used: 4.2 gr. Red Dot
Case: Reformed LC
Primer: CCI-400
COAL: ~2.278" (CBTO: 1.580")
Velocity: 1042 fps avg.
Accuracy: 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards
savage308

Post by savage308 »

rifle : side charging ar15 generic upper & 16" barrel
bullet: my cast 160 lee air cooled wheel weights with blue powdercoating
powder charge : 4.0 gr. promo
case : converted 5.56
primer : ginex sr
coal : 2.000 light lee FCD on last driving band
very quiet and very accurate in my gun .the side charging upper makes these fun to shoot.
I have shot these at a 2'x2' steel plate at 500 yds with no wind and hit 75% with a 6 power scope
Greenmoustache

Post by Greenmoustache »

rifle : CZ 527 16” barrel
bullet: Sierra 110 gr HP
powder charge : 4.5 gr. Trail Boss
case : Lapua 300 blk
primer : CCI SR Magnum (will use normal SR next)
coal : 1.96” very light crimp
Ridiculously quiet. Running through my form 1 I put them at about the same rapport as suppressed standard velocity (subsonic) .22lr. Absolute blast for a backyard varmit/plinking gun.
Amazing how much more oomph it has compared to a subsonic .22 at almost the same noise level. Tested with a 12”x12” 1/4” thick sheet of highly impact resistant polycarbonate. .22 made a small mark but essentially flattened and fell off. 300 blk punched a hole right through it.