Loads for M80 pulls

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

tcoz
Silent But Deadly

Loads for M80 pulls

Post by tcoz »

I've been loading Hornady 150gr FMJ but would like to try some "147gr" M80 pulls. Since the weight of M80's often varies between 145-150gr, do you separate and weigh them then arrive at loads based on each weight or do you just work up a load load for them based on 150gr data and load all of them the same. The answer will determine whether I try them or not.
"Never forget those who have died; Never forget who killed them."
-Unknown
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Loads for M80 pulls

Post by MMA10mm »

IMO, the M80 pulls vary so widely in consistency due to the wide variety of sources they come from, compounded by the quality (style really) of the machines which did the pulling, that I only consider them plinking bullets. If you find a source which is very consistent and on the higher end of quality, it may benefit you to weight sort, but it's always the cost - benefit analysis. Me, I load pulls for plinking and don't worry about it. They hit man - size silhouettes at 100-200yds easily, which is good enough for my needs. When sighting in, or checking how good a particular sight/scope or barrel is, I get known-quality bullets like Hornady or Sierra or Nosler.
rg1
Silent Operator

Post by rg1 »

I've bought a few 500 round lots of M80 pulled bullets. I haven't found the weight variations in any of the lots to vary as much as 5 grains, Mostly all in 147 to 148"s in weight. However you can tell from the shape of the base, tip sharpness, or cannelure, that they are from 2-4 different lots. I load them all the same They shoot fine for a plinking round. Some suppliers have "new" M80 147 fmj's and they should be more consistent for not much more cost than pulled. You won't waste your time and money loading them versus commercial 150 fmj's. I load 110's and 125's for accuracy and hunting loads, and only 147 M80's for plinking. My Hornady 150's get loaded for Garands.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

If it's a plinker I don't waste the time and just fire them :)
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Post by 392heminut »

I just use the 150 gr. load data. They are so close it doesn't really change anything.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

.... due the minimal price differences in costs and if the retailer includes free shipping, I typically will go with the new over the pulled when it's available. The free shipping will usually offset the purchase price difference. As the other post indicated, you can have different lots/brands mixed in so you will have variations in the results. I typically use the "pulls" for my plinking or CQB type of courses of fire in our local matches and practices where anything inside a 8" paper plate is G2G. If the round placement is critical, I will only use new bullets in the round...

Rocky Mountain Reloading has some NEW Magtech M80's on sale right now, might be worth some folks to check out...
ShortBarrelShepherd
Silent But Deadly

Post by ShortBarrelShepherd »

In my experience it's better off waiting for deals on newly manufactured bullets. My M80 pulls varied in size and weight. I wound up setting my press for the safest length and burned through my 1000 as quickly as possible.

Here are my blog posts about my experience : http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/?s=M80

I also posted about them a few times on this board.
Visit my blog about SBRs, PDWs, and fight focused training: www.shortbarrelshepherd.com
tcoz
Silent But Deadly

Post by tcoz »

ShortBarrelShepherd wrote:In my experience it's better off waiting for deals on newly manufactured bullets. My M80 pulls varied in size and weight. I wound up setting my press for the safest length and burned through my 1000 as quickly as possible.

Here are my blog posts about my experience : http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/?s=M80

I also posted about them a few times on this board.
Very good blog posts. I just read a few and really enjoyed them. After reading about your experience and what others have said about M80 pulls, I'm backing away from using them. Thanks.
-Unknown
ShortBarrelShepherd
Silent But Deadly

Post by ShortBarrelShepherd »

Thanks! If you aren't in a huge hurry, save money for the blemish sales at Midsouth. I bought 150gr FMJ BT for less than the M80s.
Visit my blog about SBRs, PDWs, and fight focused training: www.shortbarrelshepherd.com
tcoz
Silent But Deadly

Post by tcoz »

ShortBarrelShepherd wrote:Thanks! If you aren't in a huge hurry, save money for the blemish sales at Midsouth. I bought 150gr FMJ BT for less than the M80s.
Thanks I'll watch for the sale. I only bought 300 the first time around just to try them out so I'll be ready for more.
-Unknown