Lee FCD issues - Any help?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

JoeOndish
Senior Silent Operator

Lee FCD issues - Any help?

Post by JoeOndish »

Alright everyone. I'm having some issues with the Lee FCD for the 300 blackout I have.

I've seen the videos and pictures online of the die and nothing I do will get it to crimp anything.

The collet will not come to the top of the die like I have seen in other pictures and videos and looks like it's getting caught by a lip in the middle of the die on the inside. The collet will not move up anymore at all, it just will slightly move back and forth in that bottom section.

It's a new die and just taken out of the package yesterday to setup. Anyone have any ideas.

Ciliman21
Silent Operator

Re: Lee FCD issues - Any help?

Post by Ciliman21 »

That's sound like mine. I haven't had any problem.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

How did you adjust the die?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
JoeOndish
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JoeOndish »

rebel wrote:How did you adjust the die?
I followed the instructions. Shellplate all the way up, screw die in until it touches and then 1/2 turn more. Seems like no matter how much I tighten it down, there's no crimp.

I tried a sharpie test and there's no sharpie being touched at all. It looks like the collet will move in just the slightest bit, but it doesn't matter how much I turn it, nothing happens.

I'm expecting this to be operator error...but anyone with any insight would be much appreciated!
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Im loading some rounds now. Just measured my LFC die. .054 movement on the base of the collet with the die in my hand. The collet moves freely in and out that much

With the die in my press the shell plate hits the die. Pushes it in that far, then squeezes the case neck as the press handle cams over

In a cpl minutes when i go to crimp this batch i'll try to get a total movement measurement.
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

Are you sure this is a 300blk crimping die? Mistakes have been made. Check it by putting a bullet ready to crimp in the die to make sure it is not oversize. Do that off the press.
JoeOndish
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JoeOndish »

Interesting. The die is certainly stamped 300 AAC on the collet.

I appreciate the note on the movement. Not sure about measurement wise on mine. But it stops at the top of the "300 AAC" stamp and will retract out to about right in the middle of the wording.

I'm completely ok without crimping the bullets. I'm using 208 gr. Amax bullets and figured I may as well try to put a light crimp on them since I had the FCD.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Ok...

Measured inside of die at top of collet .075 total movement up and down of collet inside die. If you are getting less then that there may be a problem with the die
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

The wording on the collet goes completely inside at the top of my crimping stroke
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

What does your brass measure?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.