Dagnabit!!! Thought I had some blacktips.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Dagnabit!!! Thought I had some blacktips.

Post by walnutz »

Well, went to the local reloading store and thought I found some Barnes 110 grain blacktips. The box said 30 cal. 110 gr. TAC-TX FB. I didn't realize that it had to say 300 AAC BLK also. Anyway, they are blue tips and are a little shorter than the blacktips, about .128 thousands and have an extra cannelure. (two cannelure's) I hope they work OK, I've opened the box, they are mine now. If anybody finds some of these, be sure it says 300 AAC BLK :shock:
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dagnabit!!! Thought I had some blacktips.

Post by Omega »

walnutz wrote:Well, went to the local reloading store and thought I found some Barnes 110 grain blacktips. The box said 30 cal. 110 gr. TAC-TX FB. I didn't realize that it had to say 300 AAC BLK also. Anyway, they are blue tips and are a little shorter than the blacktips, about .128 thousands and have an extra cannelure. (two cannelure's) I hope they work OK, I've opened the box, they are mine now. If anybody finds some of these, be sure it says 300 AAC BLK :shock:
I did the same down at midsouth, the bluetip ones say the same thing in the title text as the 300s. Luckly the 300s had come in the night before so I got two boxes of those instead; and now I know the difference.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Post by walnutz »

Well, hopefully the deer don't know the difference. I'm split between the barnes 110 or nosler 125 ballistic green tips. I usually hunt with a 30-06, but this year I really want to hunt with my blk. What do i do? 110 or 125. 125 yards is my farthest shot, in fact one of my blinds is only 80 maybe. Decisions, decisions!!!!
An armed man is a Citizen. An unarmed man is a Subject.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

walnutz wrote:Well, hopefully the deer don't know the difference. I'm split between the barnes 110 or nosler 125 ballistic green tips. I usually hunt with a 30-06, but this year I really want to hunt with my blk. What do i do? 110 or 125. 125 yards is my farthest shot, in fact one of my blinds is only 80 maybe. Decisions, decisions!!!!
The 125s have some load data and a good deer track record, not sure about the bluetips since I only just found out they existed but I am sure they will work just fine too. You should have enough time before season opens to work up a load either way you go.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Post by walnutz »

Most of my loads are 125 grain and my weapon is sighted in for 125. I'm thinkin about going with the 125 ballistic tips and be done with it. I've used the Nosler ballistic tips in my 30-06 and they are devastating. I see no reason that they wouldn't be as good in a blk, albeit lower velocity. We shall see, but darnit I have to wait till November to find out. I'm ready now.
Ciliman21
Silent Operator

Post by Ciliman21 »

local shop had some for like $37 for 50.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Post by walnutz »

Yep that's exactly what I paid for the wrong ones. Ouch!!!
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

walnutz wrote:Well, went to the local reloading store and thought I found some Barnes 110 grain blacktips. The box said 30 cal. 110 gr. TAC-TX FB. I didn't realize that it had to say 300 AAC BLK also...
I think 110gr TAC-TX are all being gobbled up by Unicorns. They both seem to be mythical :lol:
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Post by walnutz »

Yes they are mythical. The store had another box of the blue tips but that's not what I need. I wonder if they will work in my 30-06? I imagine that would be a really high velocity load. I'll have to check and see.
walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Post by walnutz »

Well I checked and sure enough I can use them in a 30-06. The only problem is I would have to get some RL-10x or some 2520 powder to do it. Another 30 dollars if I could find it, but it would come out of there at around 3500-3600 fps. I bet that would open up the petals.