Inexpensive plinking load?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Caniac

Inexpensive plinking load?

Post by Caniac »

I'm thinking about getting a 300 AAC/BLK to compliment my 5.56 AR-15 and use for deer hunting. I have been reloading for 25 years; thanks to the wealth of information on this site I think I have a pretty good handle on the steps required and how relatively simple it is to fabricate 300 AAC brass from 5.56/223 brass. Also, I understand the excellent premium bullet choices for hunting from Nosler, Hornady, and Barnes (which I've used before with other cartridges with good success). However, other than using cast bullets (I'm not ready for that "plunge") I haven't seen much in terms of low cost bullets for suitable for this cartridge. Can someone please recommend a low cost plinking bullet (non-cast) for this cartridge? I (currently) have no interest in subsonic or using a suppressor, so I was thinking mid to low weight (for caliber) bullets, say from 110 to 150 grains, that have reasonable availability, function, accuracy and cost ~ 15-20 cents each?

thanks,
Dave
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Re: Inexpensive plinking load?

Post by VENT625 »

Keep an eye on Shooterproshop.com, they sell factory 2nds and blemished bullets from Nosler at a fraction of the price of in the store. Midway also sells blemished projectiles occasionally. I jump on these and buy in bulk!!!!
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

Probably if you do not want to wait on the blemished bullets, try the Nosler 110 Varmageddon. They can be found for around $25 per 100. Probably the easiest to come by at this point in time.
Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 »

Sub-$.20 is going to be a tall order these days.

My 147 M80 pull load is under $.20/ea, but not by a lot and I got them
when they were "cheap", powder was available, and PVI had Wolff primers
for $16/k.

$.12/ea for M80 pulls from Hi-Tech
$.02/ea for primers after shipping and hazmat
$.05/ea for H-110 at $22/lb

When things straighten out stock up. Until then I'm not ordering a damn
thing at todays inflated prices.
Ariac
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ariac »

Are plated cast an option. I use these type.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i1485 ... 000ct.aspx
ShortBarrelShepherd
Silent But Deadly

Post by ShortBarrelShepherd »

Plated is not an option (most of the time) since (most) 300 loads exceed the velocities the plating is rated for.

I am in the process of shooting my M80 pulls from hi-techammo.com but given my experience with the inconsistency of M80 projectiles I am looking for alternatives.

As Makintrax73 stated, trying to get a projectile at less than $0.20 that has some consistency is becoming more and more difficult. Since I purchased my M80s in December of 2013 I haven't seen any more available for order, but I could have missed it.

You might also want to consider a 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R pull, but those have their own consistency concerns. There are many threads here about using those bullets and whether or not to resize them before shooting.
Visit my blog about SBRs, PDWs, and fight focused training: www.shortbarrelshepherd.com
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I bought 130gr cast bullets already made http://hunters-supply.com/shop/product_ ... ts_id=1169. I have powder coated about 40 bullets and just need to load them for my initial experimenting. The price you see is what you get including shipping so nice and simple to figure out that the 500count runs $14.20/100count.

I own a sizer die, bought some powder coat, bought a used toaster oven, and bought a Lee universal neck expander.

One time cost stuff is about $75
Bullets run $14.20/100count.

What do I get with this setup?
-When I buy 1500 cast bullets and add in the one time cost, I get bullets I can push at jacketed speeds for $19.20/100count
-Each additional 500 bullets drops the overall cost even more
-MOST IMPORTANTLY: I have never seen these bullets go out of stock, so I have them available to purchase 24/7 :)

I still need to see how they shoot, however I get a strong impression they will be accurate enough for plinking or putting into a coyote or hog if I see one :)
Caniac

Post by Caniac »

Thanks for the info guys, exactly what I've been looking for. I've loaded 308, 3006, 300 win mag and 3030 over the years. All for hunting, so I don't do much plinking with those rifles. Experience with the 223 AR is that for some reason you "have" to load the whole mag and then *must* unload the mag via the trigger! :D Occurs to me I need a plan to "feed the habit" without breaking the bank.

thanks for your help!
Dave
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Ariac wrote:Are plated cast an option. I use these type.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i1485 ... 000ct.aspx
I have shot hundreds of these in both 30-30 and 300blk. I roll them on a lube pad and shove through a lee sizing die. 2000fps is good enough for plinking, and accuracy is better than 147g M80s.
17-Shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 17-Shooter »

Are you saying you don't want to cast yourself, or you don't want to shoot cast at all? I'm buying gas checked cast at about 12-13¢ delivered and cranking out plinking ammo for 21¢ a pop.