STICKY - Good/Bad brass list converting 5.56->300blk

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

The Collector

Re: STICKY - Good/Bad brass list converting 5.56->300blk

Post by The Collector »

has no one tried to sand or mic down the brass to the proper spec? I get that would be time consuming, but maybe worth it and theoretically possible...
highxj

Post by highxj »

I purchased some 'ready to load' converted brass by Brassguys from a local store. It contained close to 25% IVI brass, all of which measured around .015" neck thickness, and a few other oddballs already covered here that had to be tossed. The proprietor made good on it, but just a heads up.
highxj

Post by highxj »

The Collector wrote:has no one tried to sand or mic down the brass to the proper spec? I get that would be time consuming, but maybe worth it and theoretically possible...
Neck turning would be the solution here, but after shooting nothing but tight necked wildcats for the last decade I'm not doing THAT anymore.
The Collector

Post by The Collector »

highxj wrote:
The Collector wrote:has no one tried to sand or mic down the brass to the proper spec? I get that would be time consuming, but maybe worth it and theoretically possible...
Neck turning would be the solution here, but after shooting nothing but tight necked wildcats for the last decade I'm not doing THAT anymore.
What is neck turning, How is it done?
highxj

Post by highxj »

The Collector wrote:
highxj wrote:
There are faster ways to accomplish it, but this should give you the idea behind it. Doing large quantities is quite the PITA. For my time, it's not worth it with the 300 BO to salvage a few cases with overly thick necks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqX9OLvd1aQ
Reloader449

Post by Reloader449 »

Norinco 223 is another that can be added to the Good list, measuring 0.010" Thickness at the mouth. I have a whole bunch of this Chinese made brass purchased in California in the '80s. Norinco brass needs the primer pocket chamfered due to a crimp, but has a correct size firing hole. I have not had any problems with this brass, firing 150 gr supers.
Poorboy1015
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Poorboy1015 »

The Collector wrote:
highxj wrote:
I turn all the necks on Blackout brass using a Forster case trimmer with the neck turning attachment. You can screw the handle off, thread a 5/16 nut back on the shaft and then use a cordless drill to spin the shaft. Doesn't take long at all, is certainly quicker than sorting through piles of brass, and yields a better result.
The Collector

Post by The Collector »

Poorboy1015 wrote:
The Collector wrote:
highxj wrote:
I turn all the necks on Blackout brass using a Forster case trimmer with the neck turning attachment. You can screw the handle off, thread a 5/16 nut back on the shaft and then use a cordless drill to spin the shaft. Doesn't take long at all, is certainly quicker than sorting through piles of brass, and yields a better result.
What about just bolting a power drill the bench and chucking in a piece of brass, and spinning it it against a piece of 600 grit sandpaper. Measure, rinse and repeat until the proper thickness is made?
Poorboy1015
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Poorboy1015 »

The Collector wrote:
Poorboy1015 wrote:
The Collector wrote:
What about just bolting a power drill the bench and chucking in a piece of brass, and spinning it it against a piece of 600 grit sandpaper. Measure, rinse and repeat until the proper thickness is made?
Yes, you could remove material that way but I doubt it would be precise enough. All that measuring would take a lot of time too.
Here is a video of one in action but this guy isn't using the cam which controls the feed rate why, I don't know, and is still turning his by hand. The way these are supposed to be used is the left hand controls the feed by rotating the cam, while the right hand turns the shaft either by hand or with a drill. It takes a little while to get everything set up but once that's done, you can knock out a lot of cases pretty fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcbPSJpLzqw
SafetyJoe

Post by SafetyJoe »

I checked 5 each of these in case you wanted to add them to the appropriate good and bad list.

Norma - .015"
WMA 15 - .011"