Varmageddon FTFs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

upSLIDEdown

Varmageddon FTFs

Post by upSLIDEdown »

So I searched the forum high and low before loading my Varmageddons. Seems like almost everyone I found had the best luck with them at 2.06" OAL, so that's what I loaded them to. 17gr seemed fine, as did 17.5, and 18.0. 18.5 seemed to flatten the primers a bit too much for my liking, so I loaded 50 at 18.0. I later got the idea to load two each at 17.0, 17.2, 17.4, 17.6, and 17.8, to see if any of them seemed to stray way off course at all.

When shooting them in a round robin fashion, I ended with FTFs after 3-5 rounds each time. I also loaded a mag with 10 or so of the 18gr load. Also gave me FTFs... When loaded single though, they lock the bolt back without issue, so I don't think it's short stroking.

They all drop right into my Sheridan gauge with no issue. When I had a FTF, the black tip would be sheared/flattened a bit, clear the jam, put the round back in the top of the mag, chamber the round with the charging handle with no problem.

Grumpa's brass
17-18gr H110
110gr Varmageddon
2.06OAL, light crimp

8" bbl pistol
Mas Defense upper
Aero lower
Rainier BCG
Spikes buffer tube asssembly with T2 buffer

30rd M3 windowed Pmag, unmodified.

Thoughts?
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Varmageddon FTFs

Post by randyrucker »

At 18.5 grains H110 you shouldn't be getting pressure signs. I load at 20.2 with no pressure signs. I'm not saying my load is safe for your gun, I'm just saying 18.5 grains seems like a pretty light load to get pressure signs. I think your seating depth is fine. I beleive there is something else going on with the gun besides your loads. I'm sure someone with more system knowledge will be able to offer some good suggestions.
ThreeHundredTraveler
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredTraveler »

When you have a FTF, check the position of the bolt carrier. The bolt may not be fully in battery.

And for sure check the chamber for a copper ring. I got one of those and was having problems getting the bolt into battery.
upSLIDEdown

Post by upSLIDEdown »

Oh its def not in back into battery. The round gets crossed up, and doesn't make it into the chamber. 19gr is Nosler Max... When I say pressure signs though, I'm only talking flat primers, and not horrible. Wish I had a crony.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

Might try extending the OAL.
I just started playing with these bullets but my gun feeds great at 2.1025" OAL.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
upSLIDEdown

Post by upSLIDEdown »

On a varmageddon? That's not leaving much in the case... .195ish I've always heard at least .23-.25.
sranch
Silent But Deadly

Post by sranch »

Varmageddon
19.5 H110
2.09 COAL
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

upSLIDEdown wrote:On a varmageddon?
That is correct
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
upSLIDEdown

Post by upSLIDEdown »

Hrmmm... Ok. Maybe I'll load some a hair longer. Also wondering if I need to drown my bcg. I've read new guns like to be soaking wet for the first couple hundred rounds. I do know the bcg isn't dragging the mag lips. You guys loading them long, what mags are you running? Wondering if the ribs are kicking them in.
sranch
Silent But Deadly

Post by sranch »

go much longer. you dont want to go much over 2.1 because the bullet isn't that long but the closer you can get to the lands in the breach of your gun the more accuracy you'll get. 2.02 is way too short. The thing might do a flip before it even enters the barrel :lol:

I load most everything about 2.1 but these Varmegeddon 2.09. Pmags
Last edited by sranch on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.