Powders For the 300 blk. Links to published Data added.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

AirportFF

Re: Powders For the 300 blk. Links to published Data added.

Post by AirportFF »

Found a pound of 1680 and picked up a box of 208gr Hornady A max bullets to start some test loads. Thanks for the info.
Snoman49

Post by Snoman49 »

Thanks for the info, this is my go to guide. I am new reloading and can use all help I can get.
greenhornet-1

Post by greenhornet-1 »

ARPILOT wrote:how about Alliant POWER PISTOL ?? Went ahead and bought some purely out of "availability", which sucks anymore !
Obviously I'll put it to use loading pistol but if I can feed it to one of my Blackout's - all the better !
Interested also. Found some powder today!
41Bear
Silent Operator

Post by 41Bear »

Wow, what a great forum/thread, thanks for all of the info.

While I'm new to the 300 BO game I've been shooting/reloading for a long time yet after reading these 12 pages a lot of my questions have been answered already. At this early stage, AR pistol build not completed, I can't add much so I'll just silently soak up every little tidbit I can find.
"Still flying like gypsies, just a little closer to the ground" Trace Adkins
skered53

Post by skered53 »

Brand new to the 300BO, have reloaded 225/5.56 and .308 for years. I have a hardened arms 16" upper on order, should be here in a couple weeks. I have plenty of pulled 147 grain, 168 gr, and pulled surplus tracer projectiles for my FAL. The only powders I have on hand are IMR 4064 it won't work per this post, H4895 too slow per this post, Win 760 no info per this post, R15 won't work per this post ;-( right now I don't care if the AR cycles, I just want to throw some rounds downrange at a steel plate out 100 yards. I also have a few pounds of HS-6.

I will be looking for powder this and next week, I've made a list from this post ( page 1 ).

Can any of the above be used to send rounds down range ( even if it doesn't cycle ) I just don't want to have a pill lodged in the barrel if I go too light .
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

skered53 wrote:Brand new to the 300BO, have reloaded 225/5.56 and .308 for years. I have a hardened arms 16" upper on order, should be here in a couple weeks. I have plenty of pulled 147 grain, 168 gr, and pulled surplus tracer projectiles for my FAL. The only powders I have on hand are IMR 4064 it won't work per this post, H4895 too slow per this post, Win 760 no info per this post, R15 won't work per this post ;-( right now I don't care if the AR cycles, I just want to throw some rounds downrange at a steel plate out 100 yards. I also have a few pounds of HS-6.

I will be looking for powder this and next week, I've made a list from this post ( page 1 ).

Can any of the above be used to send rounds down range ( even if it doesn't cycle ) I just don't want to have a pill lodged in the barrel if I go too light .
First off, WELCOME TO THE CLUB! What follows is just a thorough explanation of things as I understand them. Please don't take offense from any of it.

Check out this burn-rate chart. It'll give you an idea of what I'm about to explain.
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rate ... 4-2015.pdf

NOTE: EVEN POWDERS CLOSE IN "RELATIVE BURN RATE" CAN ACT UNEXPECTEDLY WHEN USED IN UNTESTED CARTRIDGES, AND THOSE NOT DESIGNED FOR THE POWDERS IN QUESTION. INDUSTRY EXPERTS AND MOST EXPERIENCED RELOADERS WILL ADVISE YOU TO GO BUY THE APPROPRIATE POWDER FOR YOUR APPLICATION.

HOWEVER, of your list of powders, 4064, Rx-15, and 760 (in order of burn rate slow->slower) are far too slow. H4895 is still considerably slower than the optimal N110/H110/W296/Lil'gun/4227/1680/Rx-7/5744/etc., but it may work, albeit not very well. Due to H4895 being still too slow, pressures will be too low for the powder to burn as designed, leaving unburnt stuff in your bore and likely sending it through your gas tube into the bolt/upper/lower. You might be able to get the action to cycle, but I wouldn't bet on it. It'll work better (if at all) with heavier projectiles by raising chamber pressure and maximizing burn efficiency.

HS-6 is faster than Blue Dot, and therefore, is too fast for 300 BLK in normal usage. You can push lightweight projectiles with it, I'd guess, but pressures will spike too high before getting any noteworthy velocity or an AR to function.

I (as well as most others will most likely) recommend you wait a couple days/weeks until you find the correct powders for your application. Only then would I recommend you load any 300 BLK. If you mess up, you may not be the only one who gets hurt, so that's another strong argument for using the appropriate powders.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional in the powder or firearm industry. I am just a hobby-reloader. I have learned from reading A LOT OF PUBLISHED LOAD DATA and others' experiences. Use inappropriate powders with great caution, if at all.
skered53

Post by skered53 »

Thanks, I'll wait and do my shopping.
krank
Silent Operator

Post by krank »

Getting dizzy off all the new powders.....Unique, bullseye ,and trail boss for subs. Lil Gun and 4227 for super sonic. Lots of good words about 2400 and H110 but I aint got none. I use 4198 in big guns and green dot in pistols. I am happy....
Hunting ,fishing and trapping in Missouri
skered53

Post by skered53 »

Thanks for posting the link to the burn chart,

I see Alliant reloader 10X is just three down on the chart from the VV N120, and also IMR 3031 is about 5 down from the N120, are these close enough to be close ?

Any idea on starting / max loads ?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

skered53 wrote:Thanks for posting the link to the burn chart,

I see Alliant reloader 10X is just three down on the chart from the VV N120, and also IMR 3031 is about 5 down from the N120, are these close enough to be close ?

Any idea on starting / max loads ?

short answer? no.

Long answer, you may, emphasis on may, be able to get a round to cycle the action but you will have a very low velocity compared to a powder that fits within the envelope. and this only speaks of supersonic loads, subsonic forget about it
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in