Powder Coating BULLET JIG

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

boost
Silent But Deadly

Powder Coating BULLET JIG

Post by boost »

All this powder coating hype got me all worked up. I've been following all the threads here and @ castboolits . I didn't find any great results that I liked yet soooooo....... ill give it a try.Made my own jig. It will be strips of 10 bullets each , which should make it easier to hang and and spray. Then each trip will be placed standing on a tray which will be mod to 5 or 10 strips ( depending on oven size). My objective here is to coat the entire bullet with minimal contact. I'll be masking the bolts with foil or masking tape. My spray booth will be a cut open 55gal drum. Pictures showing LEE 230 & NOE 247. It should be complete in a week or two. Will update. My spray gun from HF is in the mail.
SEMI - SILENT
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Re: Powder Coating BULLET JIG

Post by Jim Timber »

I know you already have this one built, but I'd suggest a spring loaded moveable point or cam system rather than the bolts. You're going to get very tired of twisting those hundreds of times - I know, because I used to do nothing but swap parts out of a 32 part fixture for 10 hours a day. It gets really old!
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
hawaii five-0

Post by hawaii five-0 »

Bravo! It does look like a lot of work to deal with, but you obviously are a person who is trying for above average results. Every time someone comes up with a new way of doing something, it adds to the pot....
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

Look forward to your results!
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

Jim Timber wrote:I know you already have this one built, but I'd suggest a spring loaded moveable point or cam system rather than the bolts. You're going to get very tired of twisting those hundreds of times - I know, because I used to do nothing but swap parts out of a 32 part fixture for 10 hours a day. It gets really old!
Spring loaded was actually plan "A". But my thinking it would add more bulk , tension is not variable, higher maintenance ,and wasn't sure if springs could take the heat in the oven. So I kept it simple (for now)
Last edited by boost on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SEMI - SILENT
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

hawaii five-0 wrote:Bravo! It does look like a lot of work to deal with, but you obviously are a person who is trying for above average results. Every time someone comes up with a new way of doing something, it adds to the pot....
I put some thought into this for about a week. If most of the work goes into to building the jig/setup ONCE , then it should make the work simple, easy , and fast ..........well, only one way to find out. 8)
SEMI - SILENT
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Great ingenuity!

You need to make something like a loading jig, I envision something like a piece of wood or plastic "tray" where you simply lay the bullets in "slots", lay the "spray and bake" jig you made overtop that "tray" and turn the bolts in to capture the bullets.

Your design would also lend itself to baking several of your "spray and bake" jigs stacked on each other or fit in multiple slots in the "oven".
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

Thanks!

"Spray and Bake" I like that
SEMI - SILENT
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

OK part 2 on the Spray and Bake

Absent on a match today just to finish this prototype. Still didn't receive my HF powder gun. Since I cant wait , I'll be spraying theses with High Temp paint mixed HBN powder. Test fire tomorrow.

[URL=http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img] ImageImage[/url]
SEMI - SILENT
quiet300blk

Post by quiet300blk »

On one of the other reloading pages I belong to I seen a bunch of people powder coating lead pistol bullets and the first thing I thought was man I need some 300blk in zombie green.