Discrepancy in Hornady 9th. edition

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Chris6424
Silent But Deadly

Discrepancy in Hornady 9th. edition

Post by Chris6424 »

If Winchester 296 and Hodgdon 110 are exactly the same, then why the discrepancy in load data in the Hornady manual?
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Re: Discrepancy in Hornady 9th. edition

Post by Legionaire »

They are exactly the same. Hodgdon will tell you and st marks the manufacturer for the powder will also confirm it. The only difference is packaging period.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

How likely would it be that you could buy two different labels from the same manufacturing run?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

If i understand the question you are asking is it possible to get a can of 296 and a can of h110 that are the same lot. Yes i would think it is possible that st marks would make a lot of powder that is shipped to both companies for commercial resale. It only makes sense from a production cost to make one run to fill orders from both companies.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Legionaire wrote:If i understand the question you are asking is it possible to get a can of 296 and a can of h110 that are the same lot. Yes i would think it is possible that st marks would make a lot of powder that is shipped to both companies for commercial resale. It only makes sense from a production cost to make one run to fill orders from both companies.
I guess the real question is; did Hornady use the same lot number. From what I remember of the variations they could have been due to temp/humidity change as easy as anything else. basically a couple tenths of a grain to achieve same velocity.

but again my memory being what it is...................
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

There are many reasons why they could have different values or results. Thats why you should start at the starting load for work up and also if you change lot numbers you should retest loads and confirm they are still safe.
Bstubby

Post by Bstubby »

I bought 2 pounds of H110 and W296 each, and they both have the same lot numbers. Still, I will use safe practices and confirm both before loading to max loads. My gun and health are worth a lot more to me than a few bullets :)