Cheap Lubes and Greart Lubes

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Cheap Lubes and Greart Lubes

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Thought it might be handy; most traditional lubes are a hell of a mess and for a new guy, prone to hydraulic denting.

Example of the hydraulic denting: brass on the left.

FANTASTIC and cheap lube.

Liquid Lanolin and 100% isoprophyl (rubbing) alchohol.

Liquid Lanolin found in health type stores, 100% isoprophyl alchohol is hard to find, 92% is more common and is OK, 70 is very common and just not as good.

Get a spray bottle from Home Depot, mix it - heat if needed in a microwave to get it to mix - be careful the alchohol is combustible. Enough lanolin to give it a good, yellowish tint to the contents.

Spray on, allow the alchohol to evaporate, really nice and super cheap lube. I lay brass inside an old pizza box, spray and in 15 minutes, start processing.

NOW, this stuff is simply THE best and easiest lube I have ever used in my life and NEVER had a stuck die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519525 ... g-wax-2-oz

Just touch a dab on your index finger as you place the brass to be resized; that dab is enough to do 3 cases or more.

Great for doing small batches and you use so little, Ive had a 2 oz can for 2 years.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cheap Lubes and Greart Lubes

Post by AR-300 »

Linked to the sticky "how to resource guide"
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 »

I have not used the Imperial - every report I've read says it is wonderful.

I use Lanolin instead for the simple reason that you can lube 100+ cases in about 20 secs
in a cardboard box. Shake the box to get a good proportion of the cases pointed 'mouth up'. Spritz
2x with a wide spray - some goes on case bodies and some goes into the inside of the case mouth.
Shake box vigorously so some different cases are pointed mouth up. Spritz and shake again. Allow
alcohol to fully dry. It helps to dump cases out of the box so there is more air flow.

If you ever find it not sizing smoothly you can keep a little straight lanolin handy and coat 1 case with
a thin layer of pure lanolin. It will coat the inside of the die walls and run extra smooth for quite a few
cases after that.

1000's of cases lubed with lanolin - never a stuck case.
Notar
Silent But Deadly

Post by Notar »

I like using Imperial when breaking in new dies, it's GREAT stuff.

For 5.56 to 300 BLK conversion, I use Dillon's lanolin based lube. I've made my own before, but I like how easy it is to buy the Dillon stuff, and it goes a long way, I use one bottle for 30k cases!!
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Imperial is the best, but you have to handle each case, and that stinks for a progressive reloader who does sessions of 200-1,000 at a time. The lanolin/alcohol solution works pretty well for pistol cases, but not so well for me in rifle cases. I've been compromising with an RCBS lube die that works well enough but not as good as Imperial.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
Hawcer

Post by Hawcer »

You can also mix anhydrous lanolin and caster oil (50/50) over heat and then pour into small containers and let it cool before use.

This mix is all I use now for resizing, cartridge converting and swaging. Just a dab will go a long way.
longranger
Senior Silent Operator

Post by longranger »

I use this Royal Case and Die Lube www.sharpshootr.com I like it better than Imperial,smells nice ,you can eat it if you want,cleans off your hands easier.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

personally, I use the RCBS case slick
works for me
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
Wo0dzm3n
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wo0dzm3n »

I make my own Dillion lube n it's amazing.
Lions must not concern themselfs with the thoughts of lambs
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Wo0dzm3n wrote:I make my own special lube n it's amazing.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.